Adding pickup rings to a direct mount body

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adding pickup rings to a direct mount body

I just bought a MIJ charvel body and want to add pickup rings(I know that I will have to have short pickup adjustment screws). What's the best way to get the rings straight to drill the holes?

My way... Don't know if it's the best.

Anyway, to get the rings straight, I use three strips of 2" masking tape. I go across the neck-side edge of the bridge PU and the bridge side of the neck PU, and then one strip along the bottom. This gives you a 90-degree "corner" at each pickup to use as a guide to keeping the ring straight.

Put the tape approximately 3/8" from the route edge on the bottom and 1/4" on the front/back strips, you want the edge of the tape to be visible when the ring is actually in place, with just a small gap so you can slide it around to line it up with the strings.

BTW instead of using short adjustment screws I just drill a 1/4" hole about 1/2" deep where the old direct mount screw is. It's pretty foolproof if you put some tape on your drill bit.

Comment

since this body is drilled for direct mount pups do you think if I screw down the ring using the screws for the pickup the ring would be straight?

Comment

I'm not sure what you mean... You mean like get a long screw and run it through the ring and then through the pickup and then the pickup?

Or just to get it laid out for drilling the 4 regular screws?

I don't know if I'd count on those direct mount holes being in the right spot or not.

Comment

I'm not sure what you mean... You mean like get a long screw and run it through the ring and then through the pickup and then the pickup?

Or just to get it laid out for drilling the 4 regular screws?

I don't know if I'd count on those direct mount holes being in the right spot or not.
          I have just screwed down the ring without a pickup and placed tape down going along side the neck pocket to make sure I have a 90 degree angle.

Comment

But will the poles line up just right... They may, but if your screw was drilled slightly crooked or your screw was slightly bent, you could be "square" but not in the right place.

Comment

Working...
            X