Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DIGITECH 2112 question

Hey all,,

i picked up this 2112 about a year ago, from a friend of mine, its in great shape but i have a question.
    First off i do not know the condition of the tubes because i never tested them, nor do i know of any other service issue i can preform, i just hooked it up and started playing.
    Now everything works on this unit but the problem im having is this.
    on most all of the pre sets except for the 1 that i use i have to turn the guitar all the way up and the input up about 75% and really hit the strings to get the sound out of the unit, then it dies off really quickly, the strings do not ring at all, it cut's off after a certain point like you just turned off the power switch.
    is this a tube issue? the preset that i normally use works fine, plenty of power and clean, but most all the others have the issue stated above. is there something i can do? i am electronically savy as i worked on amateur radios/amplifiers for years, but i have never been into this thing simply because i didn't know if there was something i should check first/ normal problem points and so on. so im asking for advice here. any help and suggestions are welcome

Originally posted by Telemaster_81 View Post
    Hey all,,

i picked up this 2112 about a year ago, from a friend of mine, its in great shape but i have a question.
    First off i do not know the condition of the tubes because i never tested them, nor do i know of any other service issue i can preform, i just hooked it up and started playing.
    Now everything works on this unit but the problem im having is this.
    on most all of the pre sets except for the 1 that i use i have to turn the guitar all the way up and the input up about 75% and really hit the strings to get the sound out of the unit, then it dies off really quickly, the strings do not ring at all, it cut's off after a certain point like you just turned off the power switch.
    is this a tube issue? the preset that i normally use works fine, plenty of power and clean, but most all the others have the issue stated above. is there something i can do? i am electronically savy as i worked on amateur radios/amplifiers for years, but i have never been into this thing simply because i didn't know if there was something i should check first/ normal problem points and so on. so im asking for advice here. any help and suggestions are welcome

Do you have the owners manual for it?
    If not.. get one.
    Most likely you have the noise gate on and its set too high.
    There may be a global noise gate setting. Turn it off. If not, go into one of the channels that is giving you a problem, look for the noise gate and turn it down or off. That is most likely your problem. The tubes only warm up the tone. They don't do much if anything to the sustain.

Comment

thanks, i will grab a Manuel now

Comment

Could be a tube problem, but I doubt it. The 2112 had only the two 12XA7s. I got mine used back in the day and the going wisdom at that time was to definitely trade out the tubes even straight out of the box. I dropped in some cheap Sovteks (which were known for their crunchier attributes at the time) and had good times after that.

Remember that the tubes are only part of the preamp stage and it's really meant to mix with the solid state gain to add articulation and roll off some of the peach fuzz - as well as giving you that mammoth mixed tone everyone searches for on stage. I believe, IIRC, you can actually use the unit with no tubes in the box at all as long as you totally cut out the tube circuit in your patches. I don't think this was a recommended way of doing things, but you get the idea. That's why I doubt it's a tube problem in the first place.

A good way to test, once you've got your manual, is to cut the tube circuit all together out of one of your patches and then, if you have the same problem with your guitar dying off prematurely, you'll know that it's more likely that your noise gate, as jgcable said, is set too sensitive.

You can get the manual here:
        ftp://ftp.digitech.com/pub/PDFs/Disc...2%20Manual.pdf

Good luck,

LJ
        "Yes, but ... these go to eleven!"

Comment

Yeah, it sounds like a noise gate issue. The best thing about the 2112 is that for $25 you can swap out the chips for a 2120 upgrade. I had a 2120 and actually scored a 2120 chip with the intention of upgrading a 2112 as a backup.
          "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

I used to have one. The first thing I'd do with a used one is a factory reset. I don't recall how this is done but I know it's there. Then work from a "known good" state.

Comment

Working...
            X