A possible angled neck on a DK2?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A possible angled neck on a DK2?

Hey guys, I bought a shiny new DK2 a couple of weeks ago. Haven't had much time to play it, but today I spent some tome setting it up, and noticed that the neck is angled in relation to the body. I noticed this because the 1st and 6th strings on the 24th fret aren't equally spaced from the edges of the neck.

I've re-strung the guitar with D'Addario EXL-120.

Is this normal? Manufacturing defect?
    Anyway to fix this by my own?

Some photos for reference:

And one just for fun

You can usually shift a bolt-on neck a bit in the pocket to correct something like this. Loosen your strings, loosen your neck screws a bit & try shifting the neck down toward the high-E side until things are lined up, then re-tighten your screws & tune up. Sometimes they get knocked out of whack during shipping or whatever, and you have to do this.

Comment

have the exact same guitar and color, I don't have that issue however, try what DG said... otherwise send her back...
      "You deserve what you dream"

Comment

i had a similar issue - just the opposite direction. you should be able to tweak it a bit. you'll need to completely redo your intonation afterward.

Comment

About intonation, I'm completely uncertain how it's done on a floating bridge.
          I'll have to remove the appropriate string and adjust intonation, but then i'll have to re-string? Is it possible to adjust intonation by just loosening the strings?

Comment

If the guitar was intonated with the neck aligned correctly (which is most likely the case), then took a bump in shipping or whatever, you probably won't need to re-intonate when you return it to the correct alignment. If you do have to intonate, you don't have to remove each string as you go. You just loosen it enough to be able to move the saddle, then re-tune. Here's the basic procedure:

http://www.floydrose.com/bridges/Ori...#basic_topic_3

Comment

Well, I adjusted the neck and now it looks fine and sounds good. But... for some reason, the strings aren't directly above the pole pieces of the neck&middle pups. What's wrong, or is this normal in this type of pickup (STK-1s)? I can't notice anything wrong in the sound...

(I know in the following photo looks like the neck is still bent, but it's just the angle of the camera)

Comment

Cool! Looks much better. Don't worry about those pole pieces not lining up perfectly. That's not uncommon at all.

Comment

Working...
                X