Emg's in my San dimas more low end?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Emg's in my San dimas more low end?

Will fitting emg's into my charvel pro mod San dimas give me more low end and a bigger chug? I love the aggression of the jb but it lacks a lot in the low end. Would this work?

I play 80's hairmetal mainly

I have ordered a big brass floyd block also

Thanks

Sure. Put an 85 in the bridge. I like that paired up with either an 81 or 60 in the neck, but two 85s will also work.
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Thanks, do you think the emgs will add more overall beef but keep the highs? i love pinch harmonics and all that and the JB is pretty good with loads of bite just i cant get any thump!

I have an ibanez rgt6ex with 81-85 combo in it but reversed 81B 85N so was gonna try these out.

You think 81N 85B? Why opposite to mine?

Thanks

Comment

The EMGs keep the beef and the highs. I think the 81 is a little bright and prefer the warmer 85 in the bridge over it. Though, with the quick-connect clip, it's easy to swap them around and see what works better for you.

Comment

Thanks again,

My ibanez is just a solder in kit so will have to try the hard way i guess lol.

Hopefully the jb is stealing some low end and the emg can give some back. they sound great in the ibanez which is a maple thru neck and mahogany body even tho it will be a diff sound as in the ibanez there cutting but smooth.

Comment

No problem. The JB is a weird pup at times. It's got a loose bass and, to me, it works better in mahogany guitars.
            In an old Hamer I had, I took the JB/'59 combo out and put in a chrome 25th annivesary EMG 81 set that sounded better. I still wasn't that crazy about the 81, but it worked better for me than the JB. Plenty of other people love the JB, though.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
              No problem. The JB is a weird pup at times. It's got a loose bass and, to me, it works better in mahogany guitars.
              So true...I had an Edwards Les Paul with a JB that sounded Heavenly.... As for the EMGs.. Dan Lawrence just built a NOS BC Rich guitar for me. I told his wife I wanted an 85 in the bridge and he sent her back to me with the question "are you sure you don't want an 81". After he put the 85 in he couldn't beleive how good it sounded.

Comment

I like an 85 in the bridge better than an 81 as well. I don't know why but I like the older hardwired ones better. Both hardwired ones I had (still have 1) had more grunt. For some reason the QD sets seemed thinner/hollower. At least to me they did..
                Every man dies... Not every man really lives!!

Comment

The JB has this farty low-midrange hump that sounds like "twang" to my ears in all of the Floyd'ed super-Strat type guitars I've tried it in.

The 85 in the bridge is better than the 81 for chunky low-end but I don't care for the active thing personally. I like the Duncan Custom, DiMarzio Tone Zone, Duncan Distortion, DiMarzio Super Distortion.

Sticking a ceramic magnet in a JB is about a $10 mod with shipping and tightens up the sound of the JB a lot.

Comment

Doesn't that basically turn a JB into a Custom? I remember something about that..
                    Every man dies... Not every man really lives!!

Comment

It kind of turns the JB into a Duncan Distortion - people often refer to it as the Duncan Distortion Lite. The Distortion is a JB with an extra-thick ceramic magnet... Since this is the regular-size magnet, you get the "lite" aspect.

It does sound a lot like a Custom, though, which also has a ceramic magnet.

Comment

Which magnet do u recommend as I'll try that first

Comment

Originally posted by mrjones2004x View Post
                          Which magnet do u recommend as I'll try that first
                          Originally posted by MakeAJazzNoiseHere View Post
                          Sticking a ceramic magnet in a JB is about a $10 mod with shipping and tightens up the sound of the JB a lot.

Comment

Working...
                          X