OFR intonation fubar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OFR intonation fubar

I replaced the OFR on my DK1 with a shiny, brand-spanking-new one and when I intonated it, I found that the string clamp screw on the low E string protruded so far that it hit the top edge of the rout cavity behind it and limited the the trem from being capable of pulling sharp past a step.:think: This is annoying! Anyone else run into this? Suggestions?

Are all the other clamps similarly close or over the front edge? If only the low E protrudes I'd suspect a bad string.

Comment

Yep, I had a bad string that caused a similar issue, the A string was back a good 1/8" behind the low E string saddle to get it to read correct at the 12th fret, which is absolutely retarded, and its seems like it was way flat below the 12th fret and still way high going farther up the neck.

Try a different string, or try checking the tuning at a different fret. The low E is the hardest, for me.

Comment

Originally posted by 1b4n3z View Post
        Are all the other clamps similarly close or over the front edge? If only the low E protrudes I'd suspect a bad string.
        Yup, the A and D strings are close- not quite as far out as to hit the trem rout cavity edge but they're out there. I'll try your's and MakeAJazzNoiseHere's suggestion about a new string though...

Comment

You can get the shorter bolts, I can't recall where you're supposed to get them but someone on the JCF was talking about using shorter string lock bolts with a Floyd in a Schaller route.

I know you say you replaced the OFR with a shiny new one but... Was the older tremolo REALLY an OFR or something else? It doesn't make much sense if it was intonated before. Did you replace a Schaller, maybe? How old is the DK1? Dunno, just trying to make sense of this. It's weird, man!

I do find that the Soloists I Have, to be intonated correctly, require the saddles to be back further than anything else I have. And I DID find that I had to move the saddles back significantly from the location they were at as shipped when I intonated it (with the same size strings) i.e. the intonation was WAY OFF from the factory.

Typically the nut-to-saddle measurement should be 25.5" with the high E saddle very close to the front edge of the Floyd baseplate... At least that is how Warmoth does it (and Charvel) but my Soloists would require the saddle to be back say, 1/16".

But still my Soloists have almost 1/4" of clearance between the bolt and the rear of the route... There's plenty of room for the full range of adjustment. :dunno:

Comment

Yeah, I could put a Schaller bolt in there or preferably the OFR style short bolt. but first, I'm still gonna try the string change.

As for the DK1, I'll have to look up the serial. It's a gray Snakeskin finish, if that helps establish a time frame. Maybe late 90's? I don't really know, as I bought it used from dude on another forum.

String gauge hasn't changed and the trem it came with was definitely an OFR. The trem I've replaced it with is a genuine OFR.

Gotta say, outta 17 or so Floyded guitars, this DK1 is the only one that has that issue.:think:

Originally posted by MakeAJazzNoiseHere View Post
            You can get the shorter bolts, I can't recall where you're supposed to get them but someone on the JCF was talking about using shorter string lock bolts with a Floyd in a Schaller route.

I know you say you replaced the OFR with a shiny new one but... Was the older tremolo REALLY an OFR or something else? It doesn't make much sense if it was intonated before. Did you replace a Schaller, maybe? How old is the DK1? Dunno, just trying to make sense of this. It's weird, man!

I do find that the Soloists I Have, to be intonated correctly, require the saddles to be back further than anything else I have. And I DID find that I had to move the saddles back significantly from the location they were at as shipped when I intonated it (with the same size strings) i.e. the intonation was WAY OFF from the factory.

Typically the nut-to-saddle measurement should be 25.5" with the high E saddle very close to the front edge of the Floyd baseplate... At least that is how Warmoth does it (and Charvel) but my Soloists would require the saddle to be back say, 1/16".

But still my Soloists have almost 1/4" of clearance between the bolt and the rear of the route... There's plenty of room for the full range of adjustment. :dunno:

Comment

That would be good to know, it is annoying, just the fact that the low E is always at least really close to the edge.

Comment

That's the thing, my Soloists are all PLENTY far from the edge, like I say, about 1/4" or maybe just a hair less. And, the saddles are, relative to everything else I've got with a Floyd, a fair amount farther back than typical.

Was it intonated correctly with the old tremolo? Maybe see if the old lock bolts are shortened? It would not be a difficult job if you had a die the right size and a grinder.

What I'm thinking is, maybe he swapped a modded Floyd with short bolts in place of a Schaller (or whatever that Jackson equivalent was, the 590?) and the new tremolo has the regular bolts, so it's got the clearance issue. If that is the case you might be able to take the bolts from the old tremolo and use them with the new one. :think:

Comment

Was it intonated correctly with the old tremolo? Maybe see if the old lock bolts are shortened? It would not be a difficult job if you had a die the right size and a grinder.

What I'm thinking is, maybe he swapped a modded Floyd with short bolts in place of a Schaller (or whatever that Jackson equivalent was, the 590?) and the new tremolo has the regular bolts, so it's got the clearance issue. If that is the case you might be able to take the bolts from the old tremolo and use them with the new one. :think:
                  Not gonna happen. I sold the old trem months ago. I'd be willing to bank on the fact that it was a standard OFR as I visually compared the two trems, side by side, to make certain the block(s) were the same. Yeah, I know- I coulda looked at the measurement stamped on the block itself but I'm a visual person- it was just easier that way...

In the meantime, if anyone knows where to get a shorter bolt for the OFR, give a holler!

Comment

vector, is the current one you have 44mm? like this?

the older non-fine tuning floyd rose string lock screws are shorter. try contacting schaller directly.

if the original floyd trem fit without an issue, and it's an original floyd, that means you shouldn't have to find a shorter string lock screw. something else is up. either it's not intone properly or something else is wrong.

here's a picture of the floyd unit. *usually* after a floyd is intoned the saddle positions look something like this:

good luck!

Comment

you got a picture of your floyd in that recessed cavity?

Comment

Working...
                      X