String Gauges and Trem's...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• String Gauges and Trem's...

Okay, so on my Charvel So-Cal I just put brand new 11 gauge medium top/heavy bottom D'addario's from previously basic 9 gauge ones. I expected some adjustment to be done, but some problems arose. I can't seem to get the floyd to be level, I think it's because of my spring setup. I only have 3 springs, and they are setup just like from the factory. 1 in the middle going straight, the other 2 beside it going diagonal. anyways, I tightened the spring claw as far back as it would go without struggling it to go any further, yet still, the floyd is not going far back enough. PLUS, I now tried to lower it's action to around 1.5mm (factory setup), and the back of the bridge is laying flat on the body... like literally laying on it. so I raised it a little up. I read about your truss rod needing to be adjusted, is this true? also, what would be a good spring setup in the back cavity to level out the bridge, my guitar is currently in Eflat so it's leveled out. I want it standard though. and the problem with the string action being wacky... what happened? I don't wanna put 9's back on.... advice!

If you're tuned in E-flat with it level it should be barely any adjustment to get it to E std. Turn each spring screw about 1/4 turn and tune. Make small adjustments and don't get frustrated. You shouldn't have to adjust the trussrod at this point. Get the bridge base plate level and in tune, then get the height where you want it. Your spring setup should be fine. Also, with the 11's you will need to have the string height slightly higher for no buzz because the string will vibrate further in its motion.
    Every man dies... Not every man really lives!!

Comment

You may need springs that have a larger k constant (physics nerd alert!). That is, springs that are harder to pull apart. Try swapping 1 or 2 with some other springs you may have. You may also need to adjust the truss rod, but that's a separate issue and don't adjust it til you get the Floyd angled they way you like. The very last part of the adjustment is intonating the Floyd.

If the claw isn't all the way against the wood, you may just need to put a little more effort with a good screwdriver and drive em in a bit more with the current springs. I usually just have the springs straight, but having the outside 2 angled is common.
      "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

Originally posted by warlok View Post
        Also, with the 11's you will need to have the string height slightly higher for no buzz because the string will vibrate further in its motion.
        Actually, with thicker strings, you won't get as much buzz as you would with 9s, but he might have to raise the action just a little.
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

okay thanks for the support!!!!

Comment

You might want to go with four or five springs as well with 11's
            -------------------------
            Blank yo!

Comment

Working...
            X