Upgrade from a lisc to a OFR?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgrade from a lisc to a OFR?

Got this guy who has the LTD version of Lynch's Kami he snagged locally.
    He wants to upgrade the lisc floyd to a OFR. The lisc doesn't stay in tune.
    He wants me to do the work and I agreed.

He plans to do some gigging with it and I want to try to help him out.
    But I wanted to bring it up with you guys first as what to do.

I mentioned it could be as simple as a direct replacement no routing and etc.
    Simply removing the lisc and throwing the OFR in.

With that said,
    What do I need to do to determine if a OFR is a direct replacement with his LTD kami?

Thanks gang.
    Peace, Love and Happieness and all that stuff...

"Anyone who tries to fling crap my way better have a really good crap flinger."

I personally do not care how it was built as long as it is a good playing/sounding instrument.

Yes, there's a bee in the pudding.

The new ones have Floyd Rose Specials, what trem is it exactly?

Comment

Its a older LTD Kami that much I know.
      I don't have his guitar yet - after the holidays.

He got it really cheap.
      Needs some fret work done too and I may help him locate somebody to do the fret work.
      I don't do fretboard and fret work.

I personally do not care how it was built as long as it is a good playing/sounding instrument.

Comment

that's correct. it's a direct swap. no need for routing. if he doesn't want to spend the money on an original german made floyd, he could get a floyd rose special or ping floyd (older ltd kamis have cheap licensed floyds, no floyd specials). these should do him just fine.

Comment

Originally posted by moku View Post
          that's correct. it's a direct swap. no need for routing. if he doesn't want to spend the money on an original german made floyd, he could get a floyd rose special or ping floyd (older ltd kamis have cheap licensed floyds, no floyd specials). these should do him just fine.
          Thanks.
          I was thinking it was or should be.

I'll also suggest to him a brass L shaped big block.
          Yeah, I do recall by the tuners seeing engraved on the bridge "licensed under floyd rose patents."

Any other place to acquire a black OFR besides Warmoth?

Comment

Careful with the L shaped Big Block. I tried one on a PC1 and it basically turned it into a hardtail. Maybe go for the standard (non L) Big Block if you want travel.

Comment

Originally posted by Soap View Post
              Any other place to acquire a black OFR besides Warmoth?
              I recommend these guys:

http://www.prorockgear.com/

Comment

+1. steve (owner) used to work for kramer back in the 80s. chek out his floyd specials.

well, from the sound of it, your friend is not that familiar with floyds (that's why he asked you to fix it?), so a big block might not do him any good. is he used to using a floyd at all?

personally, i think those big blocks are just a lot of hype. once the guitar is plugged in and played through amp, rig, or pedals, i doubt anyone can tell the difference. if he wants an upgrade a regular brass block should be fine. be sure to get the right size block that fits the body. from my memory an old ltd does not have a recessed cavity, so buy a 37mm block... or a 42 block if he's floating the floyd.

Comment

Here's some pics.
                  ">">
                  Can you see them?
                  I just went to photobucket and grabbed an account to post the pic's.
                  Last edited by Soap; 12-26-2010, 07:31 PM.

Comment

Pics are showing up just fine. I'd drop a Ping Floyd in there. Save him some cash and still get a great Floyd that'll do a great job for him.
                    Last edited by DalyTek; 12-27-2010, 02:58 PM.
                    My Gear: Stoneman SG-1, Hufschmid Tantalum H6, ESP KH-6, Sully #8 JCF One-Off, Templar GuitarWorks Relic Prototype, James Hetfield Tribal Hunt KL Explorer, Coobeetsa CCG-10-DX PRO Eagle, Schecter Hellraiser C-1 Hybrid, Daly Heiro Custom, Gibson Les Paul Custom, Gibson SG Menace, Peavey Vypyr 60 Tube

"You are dog shit in my shoe." -Newc

Comment

Argh I hate those pads that ESP and IBZ put in the trem routes. What are the point of those exactly??

Comment

I think I'm gonna suggest a ping or special and a screamin demon humbucker or a humbucker of his choice.
                        I plugged it in and the humbucker in it has no umpth to it pretty useless.

Oddly though I do like the single coil neck pickup.
                        Don't know what it is (name) but it sounds better than the many I've had and tried over the years.
                        I could be just a tad louder but overall for a budget single coil sounds pretty good surprisingly.

Comment

well, ping floyds are a little more than floyd specials. frankly there's no diff btn the two.
                          ok, i see it has a recess cavity, so 32 block then.
                          axe, those metal pads are supposed to be for the protection of the mounting stud inserts and the wood (so there's no possibility of the studs leaning forward). i don't see the points either b'cuz if there are mounting stud inserts, the studs shouldn't lean forward anymore. it's one of those inventions that's useless.

Comment

Originally posted by Axewielder View Post
                            Argh I hate those pads that ESP and IBZ put in the trem routes. What are the point of those exactly??
                            Originally posted by moku View Post
                            axe, those metal pads are supposed to be for the protection of the mounting stud inserts and the wood (so there's no possibility of the studs leaning forward).
                            I thought he was referring to the actual soft pads that line the Floyd Route, not the metal brace. (Could be wrong of course, it's happened before.)
                            I thought it was kind of weird to see those little foam pads in my ESP too...
                            My Gear: Stoneman SG-1, Hufschmid Tantalum H6, ESP KH-6, Sully #8 JCF One-Off, Templar GuitarWorks Relic Prototype, James Hetfield Tribal Hunt KL Explorer, Coobeetsa CCG-10-DX PRO Eagle, Schecter Hellraiser C-1 Hybrid, Daly Heiro Custom, Gibson Les Paul Custom, Gibson SG Menace, Peavey Vypyr 60 Tube

"You are dog shit in my shoe." -Newc

Comment

i see. you're probably right, the foam pads

Comment

Working...
                              X