so im thinkin of a refin job....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• so im thinkin of a refin job....

I recently got a nice pearl white soloist, but im thinkin id like to get it refinished since im not confident enough to do it myself. Heres my thoughts, i only need a single vol knob and id prefer this guitar be hum/single. Also would prefer a toggle instead of the 5way. Colorwise id like to go snow white. Can anyone tell me how much id be lookin at to do this? And who should i go to? There a small chip out the backside of the headstock and an indention near rhe neck pickup. Thanks in advance.

Any chance you could put some pics up? Would certainly help givin' you an idea of how much you are potentially lookin' at. I know a couple of guys in the Charlotte,NC area that are good at refin.

Comment

Well heres the bad

I know its not really bad but still bothers me a lil and i figure matching a 21 year old pearl white would be hard to do
      Last edited by jdr94; 12-21-2010, 04:07 AM.

Comment

My friend, I know ONE guy in the Charlotte area who can handle the whole shebang for ya! His name is Craig Landau. his shop is located in Harrisburg,NC, right off I-485. Google "Landau Guitars". He once repaired an Explorer headstock for me that was snapped off completely. When I got it back, I could not tell where the repair was done. Super work! The only thing is that he is usually backed up on work,but give him a call. I'll bet he could even do an exact paint match for ya!

Let me know if you get in touch with him, I'll be interested in what he says.

Peace.

BTW, Those dings and the chip at the point (The death of all us Jackson and Charvel owners!) Don't look too terribly bad. You can save yourself some serious cash by seeing if a paint match is possible and have those spots fixed and blended in, instead of looking at a total refinish. That's a REALLY nice Jackson you've got there,btw!
        Last edited by jimmbo118; 12-21-2010, 04:41 AM.

Comment

I'd leave it as-is and not mess with it. My Model 6 has a nose injury (not as bad) and it's just par for the course.

Comment

Originally posted by jimmbo118 View Post
            My friend, I know ONE guy in the Charlotte area who can handle the whole shebang for ya! His name is Craig Landau.
            +1 to Landau. He works on all my Jacksons, although I haven't done any refin projects with him. He does have a paint booth there.

I wouldn't fill in that middle pup. It will add a lot of expense, and it is difficult to keep the route seams from showing through the paint. Just throw a sustainiac in there or something!

Comment

Yeah ill probably leave the middle route. I know the damage isnt all that bad, but i just want a minty guitar for once ha ha. Ill check that guy out first of the year. Thanks

Comment

pictures, please :]
                I don't trust anybody who doesn't like Led Zeppelin.

Comment

Sorry i organized my photobucket album. Pics here http://s140.photobucket.com/albums/r...990%20soloist/

Comment

thanks.. after seeing the indention near the neck and the headstock chip, i'm gonna say get a paint match, fill in the headstock chip and the ding, and call landau when you NEED a refin.. save yourself some money, pal

Comment

Ok then should i hit up landau for the touch up work or someone else?

Comment

i guess look around, and call landau if you can't find anyone else? i don't have anyone do work for me so i wouldn't be able to give a point of reference as to who you should call. wait for someone else to chime in

Comment

Hit up Mike Learn. He's done a bunch of work for guys here on the board and does a great job with both paint and modification projects.

http://www.learnguitars.com

Comment

Yep, I'd hit him up. After all,he's local and he's pretty realistic on pricing and so forth (I'm NOT disrespecting anyone else here or their recommendations AT ALL! There's a LOT of great luthiers around!) I'm just REAL particular about having to "send" my axe off anywhere to have work done. I prefer,if at all possible, to transport my guitar personally,so if it gets messed up in transit, I got nobody to blame but my own stupid self! 8-)

Comment

I just checked out Mike Learn's work. JEEZUS! That guy has got some SERIOUS airbrushing skills!!! Probably the best I've seen in 30 years or so!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X