Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 80's Floyd Rose studs

hello everyone,

I am a newcomer here from Paris/FRANCE, and I guess I am not the first 80's JACKSON OFR equipped owner with this problem;
    so here I am,
    I need to replace the Floyd Rose pivot studs on my 1989 DINKY, but where can I find the vintage ones from the 80's?
    They look quite different from today's available studs, but can the new ones do the job as replacement?
    Thank you for your help!!

Are the studs the kind with inserts or the kind that bolt directly into the wood? If i were you i'd go with the inserts, but you'd probably have to enlarge the holes a bit.
    It's all about the blues-rock chatter.

Originally posted by RD
    ...so now I have this massive empty house with my Harley, Guns, Guitar and nothing else...

Comment

You mean the ones that screw right into the wood? Or the bigger thread ones for the JT-6?
      Every man dies... Not every man really lives!!

Comment

Hi everyone
        thanx for answering, I am back from work, and I would love to attach a pic but it's disabled on my profile (don't know why actually)

The tremolo is a genuine "Floyd Rose" from late 80's; factory equipment, it stands approx 4 mm above the top, ie no recessed cavity.
        The studs do stand in steel inserts
        They are big, fat, black, and you can adjust them with an Allen wrench that is TWICE as big as the one you use for newer Floyds' studs and restringing on a Floyd.
        And the are "dead", because of misuse from previous owner who adjusted height without releasing tension (but he kept the guitar in absolutely MINT cosmetic condition!)

I need to get new ones like these cos' so many Jacksons and others still have them on that it must be possible to get them somewhere )

Thanx

Comment

Your account is not disabled. You post pictures by uploading them to a web space and linking to them i.e. photobucket or other.

I don't believe your guitar came with a genuine Floyd Rose. It more than likely came with a JT-6 and someone replaced it.

Got to www.fretsonthenet.com and look up JT-6 conversion posts. They are $25.

Comment

Originally posted by XavSnakeEye View Post
            And the are "dead", because of misuse from previous owner who adjusted height without releasing tension
            You don't need to release tension before adjusting the studs.
            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
              You don't need to release tension before adjusting the studs.
              I was about to worry when I first read that. I mean, I don't notice any abnormal wear on the studs or knife edges and I've always done height adjustments under tension but...yikes. Good to know.

Comment

Hi,
                thank you for the pictures tip
                I am using it right now so you can see

Actually, I don't care for original or not (though previous owner bought it new in 89 and is positive he never had ANYTHING changed on it);

All I would love to know, is where I can get these studs NEW;
                (I just spent two more hours on the net and couldn't find...)
                thx

Comment

+1 to DonP and toejam.. http://fretsonthenet.com/ImCharv.htm second thing on the page. But he's out for the holidays.
                  Last edited by warlok; 12-20-2010, 06:00 PM.

Comment

Actually I always release tension before adjusting (both strings AND springs), or else the knife edges of the Floyd just cut the studs as you turn them; in the scars you leave, the Floyd can't move properly anymore. (I know it's tricky though)
                    But that's not the point, I am looking for the big fat studs you can see below NOW

Comment

Originally posted by XavSnakeEye View Post
                      But that's not the point, I am looking for the big fat studs you can see below NOW
                      I mean ABOVE;

Comment

The only place I know of (or heard of) that has them new is fretsonthenet.com which is linked up there ^^. My link sends you exactly to the page. The JT6 to OFR conversion studs are for the inserts that are on your guitar. The threads are correct. The cutout for the knife egdes are slightly more open to get full up and down motion out of the OFR. The only difference in looks is they are flathead instead of allen and are oxide coated nicely (I think) instead of the factory paint/coating that will wear off quickly. They work and look great. Only other real option is some used ones from ebay that are probably in the same shape yours are.

Comment

Originally posted by warlok View Post
                          The only place I know of (or heard of) that has them new is fretsonthenet.com which is linked up there ^^. My link sends you exactly to the page. The JT6 to OFR conversion studs are for the inserts that are on your guitar. The threads are correct. The cutout for the knife egdes are slightly more open to get full up and down motion out of the OFR. The only difference in looks is they are flathead instead of allen and are oxide coated nicely (I think) instead of the factory paint/coating that will wear off quickly. They work and look great. Only other real option is some used ones from ebay that are probably in the same shape yours are.
                          +1 warlok's advice is dead on.
                          Last edited by DalyTek; 12-21-2010, 02:40 AM.
                          My Gear: Stoneman SG-1, Hufschmid Tantalum H6, ESP KH-6, Sully #8 JCF One-Off, Templar GuitarWorks Relic Prototype, James Hetfield Tribal Hunt KL Explorer, Coobeetsa CCG-10-DX PRO Eagle, Schecter Hellraiser C-1 Hybrid, Daly Heiro Custom, Gibson Les Paul Custom, Gibson SG Menace, Peavey Vypyr 60 Tube

"You are dog shit in my shoe." -Newc

Comment

Originally posted by DalyTek View Post
                            +1 warlok's advice is dead on.
                            Sorry but what does "dead on" mean? (English is not my native language...)
                            The advice looks very informative anyway, thank you;

Comment

Seeing how it has a Floyd nut, I would think it was factory installed. In the 80s you would have to send the Floyd in because Kramer had exclusive rights to sell them at the time. My strat has a facory install and has JT6 posts on it too.
                              It's pronounced soops

Comment

Working...
                              X