Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

JT6 vs. OFR Question - Which do you REALLY like best?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JT6 vs. OFR Question - Which do you REALLY like best?

I have two JT-6 axes. I have OFR's for both, but for the first time stringing up I went with the original JT-6 trem.

Both play great and I don't really see any issues. I like not having the fine tuners in the way. But I do like the fact that I have "The Key" for setting intonation on an OFR, but how often do I reset intonation?

I need to decide which trems to keep and which to sell. The trems I keep will get a major big block upgrade (42mm L block).

I like keeping my axes looking OEM. If I sell the OFR's It'll generate a lot more cash than the JT-6's.

Please tell me precisely why you hate the JT-6 and why I should toss both and go with the OFR's. I know one reason in the OFR's favor is the resale value of these axes would be higher, but how much higher?

Thanks.

The way I see it, as with anything else that supposedly had QA issues at one time, if its lasted 20 years, youre probly good to go. As far as the JT6 vs. OFR in reliability to return to zero (or as close to zero as a FR ever comes), Ive never had a problem setting up a JT6 to return to zero after use, JT580LPs on the other hand, Ive had some issues with. As for resale, yeah the OFRs bring more, but a still working JT6 could bring in some cash too. Especially since parts for the JT6 are becoming more and more sparse and youll always have the guys that like to keep or bring their axes back to stock config.

Ultimately, if youre having an issue with the JT6 and you OFRs laying around, swappy swappy time, but it seems youre not, so, Id sell or just hang on to at least one of them for when you may need one
    Last edited by Twitch; 12-19-2010, 03:52 PM.
    HTTP 404 - Signature Not Found

Comment

The worst part about the JT6 is the stringlock. Other than that, those push in bars are usually quite loose. The replacements from fretsonthenet work well, but I prefer the old-school screw in type and as far as I know there is no way to retrofit those on a JT6. The parts on the JT6 always oxidize and look like crap over time. I do like the flat feel of the top of the JT6 as well as the slightly narrower string spacing on it. The JT6 lock blocks with the pads on top are really a neat design, and are easier to take out. I dislike the rough finish on the JT6. The intonation screws have hex bolts, and they are a pain in the ass when they go flying during a setup. With an OFR you can install a D-Tuna, which is a plus.

Comment

Ok, good points so far. I'm not into D-Tuna's yet, but never say never.

Comment

The only draw back to putting the OFR in place of the JT-6 is the string spacing with an OFR you're "E" strings are more to the edge of the fingerboard.
          You can install a collared floyd trem bushing easily on a JT-6 if you need to but I like the push in bar just fine.
          I would leave the JT-6's on but thats just me I like em'.
          Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Wow! JT-6's now go for more than OFR's used

http://cgi.ebay.com/Import-Charvel-M...item20b5fc7dd4

$135 WTF?

Comment

OFR's are made of better material and last longer than the JT6. The JT6 doesn't seem to last as long. My main gripe is the knife edges on the JT6 can chip preventing it it to returning it to zero. I actually think the overall design of the JT6 is an improvement...especially with the fine tuners placed under/out of the way. I also like how the baseplate is arched to match the neck radius as opposed to having different saddle heights of the OFR. So if someone were to make the JT6 out of steel, it'd be a hit...you reading this Budman!

I have to say that I came across a unique JT6 over the years. I bought an '88 soloist used a few yrs back and the JT6 on it hadknife edges that looked to be made of hardened metal. The knife edges looked nothing like the dozens of JT6's I have seen before it which came on MIJ Charvels. The rest of the trem looked the same.

The narrower string spacing may be a preference for some on the JT6, but I don't find it too much of a difference. Some may not like the Ibanez-like trem bar bushing. It does make the bar much lower on the trem, a la an Ibanez edge, so one may not like it if used to an OFR, but as mentioned it can be changed out.
              "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
                Wow! JT-6's now go for more than OFR's used

http://cgi.ebay.com/Import-Charvel-M...item20b5fc7dd4

$135 WTF?
                Ah yes alienxnation again.

Comment

Originally posted by MetalMedal II View Post
                  OFR's are made of better material and last longer than the JT6. The JT6 doesn't seem to last as long. My main gripe is the knife edges on the JT6 can chip preventing it it to returning it to zero. I actually think the overall design of the JT6 is an improvement...especially with the fine tuners placed under/out of the way. I also like how the baseplate is arched to match the neck radius as opposed to having different saddle heights of the OFR. So if someone were to make the JT6 out of steel, it'd be a hit...you reading this Budman!

I have to say that I came across a unique JT6 over the years. I bought an '88 soloist used a few yrs back and the JT6 on it hadknife edges that looked to be made of hardened metal. The knife edges looked nothing like the dozens of JT6's I have seen before it which came on MIJ Charvels. The rest of the trem looked the same.

The narrower string spacing may be a preference for some on the JT6, but I don't find it too much of a difference. Some may not like the Ibanez-like trem bar bushing. It does make the bar much lower on the trem, a la an Ibanez edge, so one may not like it if used to an OFR, but as mentioned it can be changed out.
                  Ok, I'm a little confused. I've only seen JT-6s with the same knife edge inserts like a JT-590. I've not seen the other ones? yet.

Comment

I actually like the string locks block design with that extra square that sits on top of the saddle, the fine tuners, and the narrower spacing. That's about it.

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
                      Ok, I'm a little confused. I've only seen JT-6s with the same knife edge inserts like a JT-590. I've not seen the other ones? yet.

Really? Like the Schaller-made JT-590? If all the Jt6s (except that one I have, which I'm not sure of) had the hardened steel knife inserts, I'd be using a lot more of them. But the ones I encounter easily chip, making the knife edge...non-knife like, and making returning to pitch nonexistent. It took me several years to figure out why my damn Model 2 (bought new in '89) kept going out of tune after a couple years. Actually, the stringlock was also slipping then, which I figured out early, and it wasn't until I attended to that problem when I figured out the bridge was also not working properly....double locking trem, my ass! , more like double non-locking.

Here's a shot of a usual JT6 inserts without chips in it:

And scroll down to the bottom of this page where's the Schaller JT-590 is located. They are totally different looking knife edges.
                      http://audiozone.dk/index-filer/TremoloInfoProject.htm
                      "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

All the JT-6's I have have the steel insert knife edges.
                        I have had to file down the knife edges on one to fix that not returning to zero problem.An easy fix really.
                        Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

I don't think the resale of the guitar with an OFR swap gets you that much. For sake of argument, a Model 6 stock = $500-ish, with the swap = $550-ish, but you paid $150-ish for the OFR.

I thought the 1 JT-6 I played worked fine. The only issues I have with the JT-6 are #1 - The feel under my hand. I actually like the feel of JT580LP's even more than OFR's. #2 - The finish seems to be worn off on lots of places on almost every one I see (they are old..). And #3 - they are kinda ugly. These are all just personal opinion though.
                          Every man dies... Not every man really lives!!

Comment

The JT-6 is crap plain and simple! It is a cheap metal, tone sucking paperweight!

Notice that ALL high end guitars come with ONLY the OFR!

Some people are so determined to "restore" their 80's Charvels to the point that they actually hunt down used JT-6 trems to install.

Swap one out for an OFR and you WILL hear the difference in tone! Trust me!

Comment

Originally posted by vklobucar View Post
                              The JT-6 is crap plain and simple! It is a cheap metal, tone sucking paperweight!

Notice that ALL high end guitars come with ONLY the OFR!

Some people are so determined to "restore" their 80's Charvels to the point that they actually hunt down used JT-6 trems to install.

Swap one out for an OFR and you WILL hear the difference in tone! Trust me!
                              Oooooookay.

I like EL34s.

Comment

Working...
                              X