Emg q

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Emg q

Ok my model 5A has an 81 but there is a chip on the back of the tone pot.
    Not sure just what it is I'm not into EMG stuff.
    All it does is seem to boost the drive not like say a DXMG with the gain boost but sounds very different.In a way it tends to muddy up the 81.
    A little smoother sounding to me on the clean channel tho', any idea what set up this is?
    Really? well screw Mark Twain.

It Is probably the afterburner, similar to the turbocharger.
    METAL, LIVE IT!

Comment

Doesn't look like any on their website.Not a push pull.

Comment

That's not an afterburner. Does it say EMG on it? Could just be one of those Dragonfire or some different brand things.
        Every man dies... Not every man really lives!!

Comment

Not that I can see but the pot is the same dull color as any other EMG pot.

Comment

What is the writing on the IC chip? I bet a web search to find out what the chip does would answer your question.
            Scott

Comment

Its not an emg product. If its what i think.....the far right chip is a CA6, top chip is a VE5, and the big one in the middle says
              842(first line) LF441 (second line) then CM on the third line. Then the two thin tabs on the left say 1002 and 1004
              I have one but never used it cause i didnt know what it was or if it was to be a vol or tone pot. Hopefully we can figure it out

Edit- lookin at ur wiring its after the vol which would lead me to believe its an active eq of sort. Maybe an expander? I know jack about chips so maybe a tech heD will jump in and clear it up
              Last edited by jdr94; 12-18-2010, 04:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by straycat View Post
                All it does is seem to boost the drive not like say a DXMG with the gain boost but sounds very different.In a way it tends to muddy up the 81.
                A little smoother sounding to me on the clean channel tho', any idea what set up this is?
                Your description sounds like an EMG SPC control. I've always used it (and actually only heard others use it) on the EMG singles (S, SA). I figure it could make hums sound muddier. And I found a diagram (not a real photo) that looks just like it:
                http://lh5.ggpht.com/_vIW8Inklv8c/Sm...spc_layout.jpg

taken from this outside thread:
                http://forum.emgpickups.com/viewtopi...&t=1541&p=3304
                "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

Originally posted by jdr94 View Post
                  Its not an emg product. If its what i think.....the far right chip is a CA6, top chip is a VE5, and the big one in the middle says
                  842(first line) LF441 (second line) then CM on the third line. Then the two thin tabs on the left say 1002 and 1004
                  I have one but never used it cause i didnt know what it was or if it was to be a vol or tone pot. Hopefully we can figure it out

Edit- lookin at ur wiring its after the vol which would lead me to believe its an active eq of sort. Maybe an expander? I know jack about chips so maybe a tech heD will jump in and clear it up
                  LF441 is an amplifier. http://www.national.com/ds/LF/LF441.pdf

I imagine it's a mid-boost of some sort. Any markings on the circuit board itself?
                  Scott

Comment

an emg product. Would make sense too

Comment

Found a real pic. It looks identical. SPC Presence:
                      "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

I was going to say SPC as well. I put one in my KS2.

Comment

Yeah, I've put SPC's on EMG humbuckers, trying it out since I don't use the tone control anyway. It adds a lot of noise and doesn't really change the sound much anyway if you're already running a lot of gain.

Comment

Originally posted by MakeAJazzNoiseHere View Post
                            Yeah, I've put SPC's on EMG humbuckers, trying it out since I don't use the tone control anyway. It adds a lot of noise and doesn't really change the sound much anyway if you're already running a lot of gain.
                            I'd have to agree. It doesn't do much with the 81b/85n combo. Maybe with singles...

I had it laying around and just said WTF.

Comment

Metal Medal that is exactly what this is.The board has R+SPC on it and the amp chip is a 682/L441 and CM.Only other numbers on the resistors is 2001 and 2002.
                              So a strat presence control is what I figured it was.
                              Yes it does add some noise so its coming out tonight and a reg EMG tone pot going in.
                              May try an 85 in too as well.
                              Thanks guys.

Comment

Working...
                              X