Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bridge pup for So Cal?

Hello,

I recently purchased my first So Cal and would like to replace the bridge pup (currently a DiMarzio Tone Zone). I play mainly classic rock through an Orange RV50 (6V6 tubes) with a Gibson SG ('57 Classics). My tone is probably a little hotter than the typical cleanish classic rock sound but it works for me. The Tone Zone is hollow and lacking body / sustain to my ears. I'm sure the Floyd / maple board isn't helping from this aspect. While I love Van Halen's tone I'm not trying to cop that mid-heavy, Marshall sound either. I don't play metal and I don't like any fuzzy 'fry' on top of the fundamental tone. I was curious what pup you guys could recommend to thicken this Charvel up with? I play a lot of Cream, Sabbath, Zeppelin, Black Crowes, etc.

Thanks in advance guys!
    http://hypersoulrocks.com/index.html

Try a Duncan Custom for some nice tight bass and glassy highs.

I like the Dimarzio Super Distortion in all of my Floyded strats - nice smooth, round sound. Perfect for classic rock.
    -------------------------
    Blank yo!

Comment

Originally posted by blackcloud45 View Post
      The Tone Zone is hollow and lacking body / sustain to my ears.
      Hollow and lacking body/sustain? Either your pickup is broken or it's not a Tone Zone. :think: Maybe change the eq settings on your amp?
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Toss a Duncan Custom in there and never look back!
        Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
        Sully Guitars on Facebook
        Sully Guitars on Google+
        Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

The socal I had with the tone zone was one of the best sounding guitars In have ever owned.:think: It's not as hot as I like it but it does have a lot of body.

Comment

I'll also go with the Duncan Custom as my recommendation, but I do like the Tone Zone so I don't know if my recommendation holds much water...
            GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

I agree with sully,
              I personally like the old,, old, Duncan customs from th eighties.

I have has the same issues with dimarzios in the past and have tried tons of them, adjusting my EQ-ing and just could not get past some of the tonal issues I have had with them.

Originally posted by sully View Post
              Toss a Duncan Custom in there and never look back!

Comment

Thanks for the replies guys! The Tone Zone doesn't sound bad, it just isn't what I'm looking for. Which Duncan Custom? They have TB-14, TB-11, TB-5?

Comment

SH-5/TB-5 is the original Duncan Custom. The others are variations with different magnets (alnico 2 & 5, rather than the ceramic in the original version). Most of the folks here (myself included) prefer the TB-5 to the others.

Comment

Ahh, thanks! I emailed the guy @ BKP yesterday and he said the VHII? The Duncan would definitely be cheaper $$

Comment

SH-5 is what I use, but people seem to like all 3 flavours. The SH-11 is something I would explore if I had a guitar I felt the SH-5 was too bright in. That isn't the case with my Jacksons though.
                      GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Duncan Custom with an A8 magnet swap

Comment

Originally posted by blackcloud45 View Post
                          Ahh, thanks! I emailed the guy @ BKP yesterday and he said the VHII? The Duncan would definitely be cheaper $$
                          The VHII is a great pup. The Black Dog would be good too.
                          I like EL34s.

Comment

If you don't like "fuzzy fry" then I honestly don't think a Custom TB5 is your pickup. Ceramic magnets tend to have a gritty high end (which I love) but it might not be your thing.

I have a Custom 5 in my San Dimas Style 1 and it might be what you're after. It's warmer/darker and the high end is smooth - it's like a JB without the tubby bass and high-end spike from being so over-wound I guess.

Comment

Yeah, I haven't been a fan of ceramics in the past... I have a Duncan '78 laying around, think I'll try it first. Thanks again guys...

Comment

Working...
                              X