EMG quick connect....but no cable....hmmmmm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EMG quick connect....but no cable....hmmmmm

so i recently got a emg qc humbucker w/o the cable and was thinkin i'd just get one off of ebay or somethin, but i'm sittin and just wonderin what i got cable wise layin around and i glance over at a pile of computer junk. theres a lil cable that runs from the board to maybe a cd drive. anyways, its just like a qc cable but has 4 spots instead of three so i set it up 3 to one side and it fits nicely with alot of lead. then i'm like well lets see what else will work and i clipped a lil part off of a bad pc power supply and although its a little thicker on the clip part the wires are nice and thick too. just thought i'd share my little story for any of you who may need a qc cable and have some computer shit around the house.

Originally posted by jdr94 View Post
    so i recently got a emg qc humbucker w/o the cable and was thinkin i'd just get one off of ebay or somethin, but i'm sittin and just wonderin what i got cable wise layin around and i glance over at a pile of computer junk. theres a lil cable that runs from the board to maybe a cd drive. anyways, its just like a qc cable but has 4 spots instead of three so i set it up 3 to one side and it fits nicely with alot of lead. then i'm like well lets see what else will work and i clipped a lil part off of a bad pc power supply and although its a little thicker on the clip part the wires are nice and thick too. just thought i'd share my little story for any of you who may need a qc cable and have some computer shit around the house.
    I had a need for an extra wiring harness for my afterburner to make my boost box project I made a few months ago. So I emailed EMG directly to inquire about the purchase of one and they sent it to me free of charge. I left a "Dealings" thread here on the forum about it. Great experience with them.

Cool tip, just wonder if that PC cable has proper shielding like the original EMG wiring harness would have had.
    HTTP 404 - Signature Not Found

Comment

Nah its not shielded but i figure from the bridge pos to switch isnt gonna matter that much. Tho i could be wrong and end up pickin up some easy listenin radio

Comment

I actually did the exact same thing. I got a hardwired EMG 85 that had the wires clipped off way short. There was less than an inch of wire. I actually had a lot of computer stuff lying around, so I started digging. I ripped a 3-pin fan connector from an old dead motherboard, soldered the remaining leads from the EMG to it and super-glued it to bottom the EMG, and super-glued a small piece of cut heat shrink tube over the connections to secure them. This essentially turned the hardwired EMG into a quick connect one. Then I used the 4-pin wire assembly from a PC fan to wire it up. Mine is in the neck position, and I am not picking up any interference with it. The EMG itself is shielded, so I think that's why. Anyway, it works perfectly.
        Last edited by DalyTek; 12-16-2010, 02:11 AM.
        My Gear: Stoneman SG-1, Hufschmid Tantalum H6, ESP KH-6, Sully #8 JCF One-Off, Templar GuitarWorks Relic Prototype, James Hetfield Tribal Hunt KL Explorer, Coobeetsa CCG-10-DX PRO Eagle, Schecter Hellraiser C-1 Hybrid, Daly Heiro Custom, Gibson Les Paul Custom, Gibson SG Menace, Peavey Vypyr 60 Tube

"You are dog shit in my shoe." -Newc

Comment

Sup?

I've used Computer fan cables MANNNNNNY times on Quick connect EMG's with no probs whatsoever

MOSHON
          DAVE
          "It's because the speed of light is superior to the speed of sound that so many people look shiny before they actually sound stupid"

"All pleasure comes at someone Else's expense"

The internet is where, The men are men, the women are men, and the children are FBI agents.

Comment

yeah, looking at the new emg cables for the solderless system it looks to be the same. no braid or i'm guessing no braid cause you see 3 wires coming out of both ends. good stuff. And here i thought i was stumblin across a new quick fix ha ha.

thats some pretty ingenious shit right there DalyTek

opening the options to customizing even passive pickups to be quick connect hmmmmmm
            Last edited by jdr94; 12-15-2010, 08:42 PM.

Comment

Of course you can always "hard wire" insulated cable to each prong and just run those leads to the pots/switch. You don't absolutely have to have the qc style connection there.
              "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
              Gotta get away from here.
              Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
              Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

true that, but that kinda kills the point of havin a qc emg.

Comment

I'm glad it worked. The red wire was cut all the way down to the epoxy, and the other leads were less than an inch long.
                  Oh, and the fan header pins match up with the original quick connect pins, so the cables are still interchangeable.
                  This thread prompted me to pop it out of the guitar to show a pic...
                  Last edited by DalyTek; 12-16-2010, 01:35 AM.
                  My Gear: Stoneman SG-1, Hufschmid Tantalum H6, ESP KH-6, Sully #8 JCF One-Off, Templar GuitarWorks Relic Prototype, James Hetfield Tribal Hunt KL Explorer, Coobeetsa CCG-10-DX PRO Eagle, Schecter Hellraiser C-1 Hybrid, Daly Heiro Custom, Gibson Les Paul Custom, Gibson SG Menace, Peavey Vypyr 60 Tube

"You are dog shit in my shoe." -Newc

Comment

I bought an EMG 81 and the cable was too short to go from the pick-up into the control cavity back to the input...
                    So, I mailed them and 2-3 weeks later I had it..
                    But, I needed the guitar the next day so I just walked into the nearest "tech" store and bought new cables..
                    Cold Hollow Machinery

Comment

Working...
                    X