Dimarzio issue.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dimarzio issue.

I'm a little confused (so what else is new?)
    Last night as I was getting tuned up to go on stage I noticed the output on my Charvel to be considerably lower that it should be, and the tone was honky and just garbage sounding. I checked all my connections then flipped the pickup switch to the neck and everything was fine. Back to the bridge pickup and half the volume and trashy again. Damn good thing I have backups, but this is my main guitar and I sure missed it last night, especially on the warmer, more laid back songs that I've come to rely on the Tone Zone in that guitar for.

Ok, so I'm thinking the bridge pickup is bad? It's kinda strange since I just replaces a bad neck pickup in it not even two years ago and beings as it's a 95 San Dimas and it's only 15 years old, I wouldn't think pickups just wear out. maybe it's the switch, but if it's not, I may have to rethink my love for Dimarzios

I'm going to take it to the shop tomorrow and get the final verdict. In the meantime, I wanted to get some opinions on an alternative to the Tone Zone with similar qualities. JB? Pearly Gates?

The backup guitar I used last night has a Full Shred in the bridge and I like it, but it doesn't really do warmth well. One of the things I love about the Tone Zone/Mahogony body combination is that I can get nice warmth and/or big balls which ever I need....
    Prosecutors will be violated...

Sounds like a bad connection to the switch or pot from the pick up.
    Pretty simple fix.
    Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

I'm hoping so. I'm going to pop the control plate off this afternoon myself and look for anything obvious. I'm just bracing for the worse case senario. besides, it'd be good to get some input on Tone Zone replacements since I plan on swapping out the ones in the DK2 to something a little closer to the Charvel

Comment

Maybe the white and black wires are exposed and grounding out on something, or a bad solder joint on them?

I just put a tone zone in my RR1 and so far I really like it.
        GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Those 3-way switches can cause this. Try a bit of contact cleaner on it and slam it back and forth.

Comment

It's the switch. Leave the switch in the middle position when not in use to prevent oxidization.

Comment

My Promod Socal did the exact same thing. I cured it by a lot of wiggling of the toggle (neck>bridge>neck>bridge). Guess I should start doing what Don suggests, and leave it in the centre position.
              http://youtube.com/user/nickwellings

Comment

Actually, I don't think it's the 5 way switch. This guitar is also rigged with a mini toggle that, no matter what pickup your switch is set at, it puts you back on the bridge pickup with volume and tone controls wide open, and it still does it that way as well.. that pretty much bypasses the 5 way. This is the first guitar I've ever seen with a bypass switch like that, and it came that was from the factory.

Comment

so it's a pickup you love and rely on, and after 15 years it has a just now fucked up? I'd never deal with Dimarzio again!
                  Hail yesterday

Comment

Originally posted by VitaminG View Post
                    so it's a pickup you love and rely on, and after 15 years it has a just now fucked up? I'd never deal with Dimarzio again!
                    LOL!! Nah, I ain't like that. I just think it's strange that this is the second Dimarzio to go bad in this guitar in the last two years. I had the Neck pickup replaced 2 years ago.

I took the guitar in to the tech today. He took the pickup out of line and tested it and one of the coils has a direct short. I'm not sure how that happens, but he's putting in another Tone Zone for me and it should be ready for next rehearsal.

Comment

One of the lugs on the volume pot the offending pickup is connected to is probably loose, either as a defect or from abuse. If it gets loose enough, it'll cut out from time to time and lose volume. If that's the case, you'll have to replace that pot with one that isn't wonky.

I've got an Ibanez SZ-320 (pawn shop special) that had such an issue- the previous owner had twisted up all the wires connecting up to the volume pot (some stupid kid who didn't think enough to tighten down the nuts on them) which pulled a lug loose. So NOT ONLY did I have to re-do the wiring, but the pot had to go as well.

Comment

Update! I got my guitar back not now there's no stopping it. There must have been something wrong with that pickup for some time because, even though it's always sounded great, a fresh new tone zone in this thing has really kicked my tone in the ass.. The sustain on this thing is just soooooooo much better than it was before. I'm loving this! WOW!!

Comment

Working...
                        X