Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slappin' EMG 81&85 on a Dinky DXMG

Hey guys,

I was wondering how much different the sound will be on my DXMG if I'll replace the current EMG-HZ passive pickups with a set of 81&85 active pickups.

Did someone do this kind of thing before?

Much better.

Installing EMGs in a passive-loaded guitar is a bit more work than just a pickup swap though.
    I like EL34s.

Comment

It's actually more easy to do with a solderless kit than it would be to do a pickup swap.

Comment

Actually it depends on if you have done either of them before. If you do it just take your time and follow the distructions, it isnt that difficult to do but it can be a bit time consuming if its your first go at it. And to answer your original ? it will improve the sound over the stock pups thats for sure, thats if you like an EMG loaded sound.

Comment

Originally posted by fordsho90 View Post
          ...follow the distructions...
          Probably not the best bit of advice there....
          My Gear: Stoneman SG-1, Hufschmid Tantalum H6, ESP KH-6, Sully #8 JCF One-Off, Templar GuitarWorks Relic Prototype, James Hetfield Tribal Hunt KL Explorer, Coobeetsa CCG-10-DX PRO Eagle, Schecter Hellraiser C-1 Hybrid, Daly Heiro Custom, Gibson Les Paul Custom, Gibson SG Menace, Peavey Vypyr 60 Tube

"You are dog shit in my shoe." -Newc

Comment

Originally posted by DalyTek View Post
            Probably not the best bit of advice there....
            Maybe not the best choice of words

Comment

Sound difference.....way better.
              Are u gettin the set w pots, battery clip, and output jack? If u just buy the pickups used try to get all that stuff w it or ul have to spend amother 20 bucks on the electronics part of it.
              Its really not that hard. Id cut the leads comin from the switch about an inch from the switch. U can use the original pots but will have very lil fade to ur vol. Im not suggesting it, but it could be done that way if need be. Just see emg's site for installation instructions. Should give u a good idea.

Comment

Also very important for me to know is how much technical actions will I have to take when installing new pups.
                Obviously the wiring is a tad different cos I'll be placing active pups, but I'm afraid the wires I'll get with a new set of pups won't be long enough... Kinda sucks shelling out around $250 for a useless plastic match box...

Comment

Do a search on JCF for solderless wiring kits and you'll see my setup. 10 minute job easy as.............
                  Last edited by THOMO; 12-11-2010, 07:18 AM.
                  Charvel CST 060 1992
                  Charvel CST 070 1992
                  Charvel CDS 090 1993
                  Gibson Les Paul Standard 1993
                  Gibson Les Paul DC 2007
                  Gibson Les Paul Traditional 2013
                  Gibson Les Paul Classic 1999
                  Duesenberg 49er 2012
                  Duesenberg V-Caster 2007
                  Duesenberg Starcaster 2006
                  History TH-LS Limited 2009
                  History SH-LSV 2010

Comment

the wires you'll get with a new set will be long enough. no need to worry about that.

Comment

Put the 85 in the bridge. More "Umpfh".
                      Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

Originally posted by advennt View Post
                        Hey guys,

I was wondering how much different the sound will be on my DXMG if I'll replace the current EMG-HZ passive pickups with a set of 81&85 active pickups.

Did someone do this kind of thing before?
                        Are the EMGs that came in your DXMG H series passives? Im looking at getting a DXMG

Comment

Originally posted by wolfbane20 View Post
                          Are the EMGs that came in your DXMG H series passives? Im looking at getting a DXMG
                          Yes they are passive. For the one month I had a DXMG, I thought it sounded good. I bought mine used at GC for $250 and foolishly took it back after 30 days because I didn't think it was that great of a deal without the case.

Comment

People need to realise that not every guitar player likes the same tone.

Guitar tone is subjective.

OP, go and find an alder body, maple neck guitar with EMG's, play it, and if you like it - there you go.

Comment

Originally posted by wilkinsi View Post
                              Put the 85 in the bridge. More "Umpfh".
                              +1

85 in the neck can actually overpower an 81 bridge
                              "There's nothing taking away from the pure masculinity I possess"

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

Working...
                              X