Can anyone recommend a good luthier in the Chicago Area

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can anyone recommend a good luthier in the Chicago Area

For years I haven't played my favorite guitar much because the frets are now too small.
    Time to do a refret on my model 6. Anyone have good experience with a good and howfully cheap luthier in the chicago area that does a great job at refretting?
    I'm in the northwest burbs if that helps.

Damn, that's the third Model 6 in need of a refret I've heard of recently (mine and Dustin's being the other two). These are played a lot.

Comment

I've owned it since 88. It was my main guitar for most of that time so yep it's an awesome player(even with tiny frets)

Comment

http://www.chicagofretworks.com/ Never used them myself, but I have had a few friends use them before and have been happy with their work; good luck

Comment

I can't recommend Steve at Park Avenue Music in Lombard enough; he basically raised me!

Sully
          Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
          Sully Guitars on Facebook
          Sully Guitars on Google+
          Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Thanks guys!
            http://www.chicagofretworks.com/ Never used them myself, but I have had a few friends use them before and have been happy with their work; good luck
            I was looking at that place. good to know someone who has used them.
            I can't recommend Steve at Park Avenue Music in Lombard enough; he basically raised me!
            Thanks sully I'll have to check out their prices. I think I was there once a really long time ago.

Comment

It only took me 7 months but I dropped her off today. lol

Comment

Nice. Steve is the best. I love that guy dearly and owe him a debt that I'll never be able to repay. I cannot recommend him enough.

Sadly, the store is a shell of what it once was. In the late 80s, they had the most kickass custom shop Jacksons lining the walls. Steve was teaching and making parts monsters as well. I still have the one I commissioned for my 16th bday. It's a stock looking strat, but that guitar will never leave me.

Sully
                Sully Guitars on Google+
                Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Update: I've owned the guitar since may of 88, turns out it's been refretted before and the frets were glued in with glue that is stringy when heated. frets will have to be glued in again spaces are too big.

Comment

Originally posted by Rich#6 View Post
                    Update: I've owned the guitar since may of 88, turns out it's been refretted before and the frets were glued in with glue that is stringy when heated. frets will have to be glued in again spaces are too big.
                    Damn, that sucks.

Comment

This is totally not a big deal. Many manufacturers (even Warmoth) glue their frets in.

Sully
                      Sully Guitars on Google+
                      Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Working...
                      X