No announcement yet.

Is every brand the same push/pull pot?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is every brand the same push/pull pot?

For christ sakes, with all the different configurations all of us wire guitars up with you would think every company would make a decent push/pull pot. Am I wrong or does every available push/pull pot look like it's made in the same china factory and rebranded (or not even branded) for whoever is selling it? I've used Alpha on all mine and have an issue with one so I was thinking of trying a different brand before I use the spare I have here. But every one, Alpha, Dimarzio, Gibson, Fender, Allparts, Stewmac, Ebaychinanoname, and JollyFatsFuckinWeeHawkinsExtremeGuitarPartsStore, all look exactly the same (even the markings on the body). Is there a difference in any of them except the price ($3-20)?

And also, is anyone using a female blade connector on the bottom lug for a ground instead of soldering to the body? It's a bit of a pain getting the 950 grounds soldered well to the body without heating the pot to 2000 degrees and melting the hell out of it.. Or soldering all the grounds to a single wire and then that wire to the pot?
    Every man dies... Not every man really lives!!

I like to use a short piece of wire soldered to a pot with a long exposed section as the main ground point. If I'm using a Switchcraft 3-way I will use it as the main ground point instead.

I have at minimum a pickup cavity ground, the output's ground, the pot's ground and the string ground. Add another pickup cavity, a three way switch, another pot... That's a lot of ground wires.

But yeah basically I bring all the grounds together to one wire, and then solder that one wire to the main ground point, which I'll either use the 3-way or the volume pot.

Comment

Originally posted by warlok View Post
      And also, is anyone using a female blade connector on the bottom lug for a ground instead of soldering to the body? It's a bit of a pain getting the 950 grounds soldered well to the body without heating the pot to 2000 degrees and melting the hell out of it.. Or soldering all the grounds to a single wire and then that wire to the pot?
      Well, you already answered your own question there
      What will also work is getting a higher wattage soldering iron so you don't heat up the entire piece before the solder starts melting
      "There's nothing taking away from the pure masculinity I possess"

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

Working...
      X