model 6 fretting or dressing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• model 6 fretting or dressing

DSC06368.jpgDSC06363.jpgDSC06364.jpgDSC06365.jpg i bought this model 6 and i know it needs a something done to the frets and i know this is going to be hard to figure out with just pictures. But can this have a dredding done and not a re-fret i would like to try to keep them.

Model 6's get lots of play time.

Comment

You can grind off the affected area and re-crown but as deep as that looks I'm not sure you'd have a lot of fret left. Hard to tell from just a pic for certain, though.

Comment

I'm currently in the middle of a refret and looking at the pics it looks like those divets are pretty deep. If you level all the frets it might be too low...your string nut would high off the strings also...

You need to measure the deepest divet first. This will give you an idea of how low you need to bring all the frets.

Jackson's usually get Dunlop Jumbo wire.... .110" wide and .055" high, but after they install the frets and level them they might drop .002"-.003" in height so your looking at .052" high when it's all said and done...

It's not a display queen....

dinkyguitar

Comment

Wow. How do you do that, exactly? I wear my frets down pretty evenly and only develop divits in the "cowboy chord" area - I assume because I play with a lot of vibrato and bends that my frets wear down across the whole surface and not in divits?
          -------------------------
          Blank yo!

Comment

I bought it about a week ago petty cheap. I have no idea how this happened but I'm going to save it

Comment

It almost seems like taking the fretboard it's self off and buying a new ebony board pre fretted would be easier or am I just guitar tech stupid

Comment

from those pictures, i'd say you need a refret.
                Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
                Sully Guitars on Facebook
                Sully Guitars on Google+
                Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Yeah, guitar tech stupid.

Take it to a good luthier and have it refretted.

Comment

Originally posted by Grandturk View Post
                    Wow. How do you do that, exactly? I wear my frets down pretty evenly and only develop divits in the "cowboy chord" area - I assume because I play with a lot of vibrato and bends that my frets wear down across the whole surface and not in divits?
                    Old dirty strings can kill frets. This looks like an exceptionally bad case though.
                    "My G-Major can blow me!" - Bill

Comment

Because you brought it up, looking at the high E side it looks like there's some separation where the binding meets up by the first fret. Probably just a 20 year old binding seam looking crappy but is the fretboard separating there? As long as the fretboard is ok a refret would be your best bet. I would note that as bad as it looks, we're only looking at a pic and when I was wondering about mine, they looked worse in pics than real life. Actually about the same as yours does (just not every spot on the neck..). Your frets (like mine) look flat with no crown and that makes the divots look alot worse than it is. I did a level/crown/polish and all was right with the world. Still had about .052" left even after removing the big divots.
                      Every man dies... Not every man really lives!!

Comment

A good luthier can tell you for sure which it needs. Take it to a pro and get it looked at, up close/in person.

Comment

I'm going to send it to sully to have it done

Comment

If you are getting it refretted have it done in stainless steel and you'll likely never have to have it down again in your lifetime unless you have some kind of Hulk grip.
                            GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

ok sounds like a plan

Comment

Working...
                              X