Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PC1 Sustainer help

Hey guys, need your help,

My 5 yr old main player PC1's sustainer just stopped working. I have never had an issue with it in the past. Yesterday, I realized the sustain was very low and it was time to change the batteries. So, I put some fresh and tested batteries in and when I throw the switch, the output cuts out. Switch back to off and all pick-ups work in all positions.

I am at a loss as to what could have caused this. I have double checked the fresh batteries and they are full. I also tried another set of brand new and tested batteries, but no luck. I double checked battery orientation and made sure that they are in secure. I wiggled the switch and cannot get any intermittent power.

Any thoughts or ideas on next steps, things I should check before I take into an authorized service tech?

Thanks!
    "What's all this lying around shit!!" - Bluto

I'm not a PC1 expert, but I'm sure one will chime in eventually. Going from my admittedly poor memory, check the wiring to the battery box connections as they have been known to break or experience cold solder joints.
    GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Yep... check your battery box.
      I got $10 that says one of the leads broke off.
      -Rick

Comment

Yep, that was it. THANK YOU SO MUCH for your help!!!!
        "What's all this lying around shit!!" - Bluto

Comment

At least 60% of all electronic troubleshooting can be solved visually. Glad you got the fix.

Comment

Its really kinda scary as to how shitty the soldering is not only on the battery box but within the cavity as well on more than a few of my PC1's. Considering that these babies retail for well over 2K, its pretty lame IMHO.

Comment

Originally posted by vklobucar View Post
              Its really kinda scary as to how shitty the soldering is not only on the battery box but within the cavity as well on more than a few of my PC1's. Considering that these babies retail for well over 2K, its pretty lame IMHO.
              Understatement of the year.
              These things look like they were put together by monkeys on the inside.
              Poor cable management, cheap and poorly constructed battery boxes. I mean who the fuck solders a thin ass piece of 22 gauge wire to a .5 mm metal tab on a pivot point?!?!
              Those battery boxes should have had spring loaded contact points that engage when you close the door. That would have made sense.

And don't get me started on the hard 90 degree angle bend required on the cables coming off of the PCB connectors.
              Half of the leads in my electronics cavity are on the verge of grounding out on the back cover plate because of the exposed wires.
              I had to lay a piece of electrical tape over them to keep them from touching.
              -Rick

Comment

On the other hand some pretty sweet early edition PC1's have been sold on ebay for barely over a grand due to the "sustainer" not working. Naturally turns out to be a quick repair and yet another PC1 makes it into the hands of a fellow JCF member! LOL!

Comment

Working...
                X