Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Alternate tuning questions...... string gauges...... affecting harmonics. ????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alternate tuning questions...... string gauges...... affecting harmonics. ????

I havent played with alternate tunings much. I was toying around learning "No more tears" by ozzy, and Zakk tunes to drop C# I think for this. So I tune to that, and when I try to grab that signature pinch harmonic on the end of the riff, it just dont go. does the string being so loose have something to do with that?? I usually dont have a problem with it in normal tuning, but now I do. so do I just need a larger low E string? I am using standard EB 9-42 now

any suggestions, advice, and information would be appreciated.
    "clean sounds are for pussies" - Axewielder

i tune in c on one of my guitars and i dont have any problems and i also use 9-42s

Comment

I think a 48, 49 or 50 would be best for the low E string. At least go with a 46 to start for that tuning.
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I'm confused - I've always understood Drop D to be just the 6th string going down from E to D while the others remain at A, D, G, B, and E (5th to 1st). So you're saying Drop C# is, what, only detuning the 6th a step and a half?

Or do you mean he's tuned the whole guitar down 1 and a half steps?
        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

He's tuned down half step naturally then drop tunes the low D string which makes it D flat / C sharp same thing but in the strictest terms it's D flat.

Probably want to use at least 10's, 9's are weeny. Also your intonation probably is affected so harmonic sweet spots are off a bit. But 9's gotta be pretty floppy.
          Last edited by Trem; 11-24-2010, 05:19 AM.

Comment

All my D/C# tuned guitars have DR Tite Fits 11-50. For E I'll use 10-46.
            I like EL34s.

Comment

Good info Guys. yes, the 9's are pretty floppy on the low E. and good point on the intonation. I had forgot that would be affected as well. So a heavier gauge and resetting the intonation should clear it right up.

I think I have a set of 10-46 laying around that I got free from somewhere. I also have some 11s too I think. might be a good idea to try them out.

thanks guys! all good info here. if anyone has anymore tips or ideas, please feel free to offer them up! I have open ears.

Comment

I'm currently using 12-52's for the Death Kitty tuned to C standard. Feels like strumming telephone poles but it sounds EEEEEVIL. I had to make some major intonation changes and it was still hard to get it right on so I settled for close enough.
                GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

I find that the following works well:

E: 10s
                  D: 11s
                  C: 12s
                  B: 13s
                  "I would have banned you for taking part in hijacking and derailing a thread when you could have started your own thread about your own topic." - Unknown

Comment

Originally posted by loki: god of chaos View Post
                    i tune in c on one of my guitars and i dont have any problems and i also use 9-42s
                    Holy crap, really? I use 11 - 56 in C std, and 10.5 - 54 in C# std. They're basically equivalent to 9 - 46 Skinny top/Heavy bottom sets in E std.

I don't tune to drop C#, but I'd use my normal Eb set and then use 2 sizes bigger (.004") for the low E (normally a 48), so it would be 10-14-18-28-38-52. I do it this way so that tension remains the same and I can re-string my Floyds and what not in different tunings without resetting them up, other than action/intonation.
                    Last edited by potatohead; 11-26-2010, 07:17 PM.

Comment

I put 11's on my guitar, set intonation and it worked great. VERY heavy sounding. its kinda fun. Thanks for the info.

and just for conversation of string gauges....... Didnt Tony Iommi use 8's and detune??

Comment

Tony Iommi did use 8s and detune, but it was mostly because he can't feel the strings on his middle and ring fingers since the tips were cut off and he's got thimbles attached. I'm sure the strings are floppy as hell to him, though.

Comment

It's really preference obviously, I think Yngvie uses 8's, and then you have Mustaine using 10 - 52 in E std and Wylde uses fuckin elevator cables but I don't think he's in E std much, if at all, and shorter scale too.

Comment

I tried putting Slinky Beefies (11-54) on my USA Soloist with a TOM bridge and bone nut. The 54 did not fit into the nut all the way...it sort of sat on top which meant it was really high off the fretboard.

I didn't want to modify the nut, so I went back to lighter gauge strings. Anyone else run into that?

Comment

I use GHS Boomers Low Tune (11, 15, 19, 33, 43, 53) for my RR1T in D tuning. The 53 just barely fits in the slot, not high, but it seems a little tight, like the slot could be widened a tiny bit. I guess they don't cut the nuts that wide since most people seem to play with 9s or 10s.

Comment

Working...
                              X