Recording help !!!!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recording help !!!!!!!!

ok im looking to get a recorder that can do my guitar playing, then i can put drums over it, then vocals and then bass...not in that order but ya know...so in other words..like a one man band thing i can do in my bed room
    in a cheaper price range 300 or less...
    u guys know anything about this devise i need or what is a good one?

thanks alot guys.

I've got a Tascam DP-008 that's just great. Annoy your friends, family and pets with 8 tracks for $225. You can't beat it, but you'll still have to do your own guitar playing.
    The last thing I want to do is hurt you...but it's still on the list.

Comment

I think for a bit more money you could look at either of the following...

http://www.rolandconnect.com/product_2009-09.php?p=js-8
      http://www.bossus.com/gear/productde...8&ParentId=325
      GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

You want a stand alone recorder or interface/software to use with a PC? Are you looking to play and record all those instruments or use Virtual instrument software for drums, bass, etc? Need more detail on what you're going to do to see what's best for you. I've never really used any stand alone recorders (except boombox tape recorders with built in mics as a teen..) but there are lots of options for PC based stuff. Price and how professional you want the recording to be.

The PC based stuff can be had pretty cheap and make good recordings. I have a Behringer Xenyx 802 mixer going into an internal soundcard (Echo Mia), back into the Mixer, and out to my monitors. I use Cubase SX3 software or just use Audacity for quick tracks. There's tons of options. You could just pick up a decent usb interface/external soundcard (I use a M-audio Fast Track Pro or a Tascam US-122L), a mic and cables, set of monitors or headphones, and use Audacity or another free recording software (Audacity is free and works like a tape recorder, real easy) and record away.

How much you want to spend is a big factor but you can get very good recordings for pretty cheap.
        Every man dies... Not every man really lives!!

Comment

+1 Warlock, use a computer & software. You will need decent soundard but most decent ones come with v. good bundled recording software now aswell (e.g Roland ships with Sonar LE , Tascam with Steinberg). With the computer based stuff you can add loads of other instruments (whole orchestra), effects, etc etc using virtual instruments then mixdown to MP3. Nowdays even a cheap computer can run a lot of the software. You can expand when you get more money. With the 4/8 track stuff you really are limited to basic drum tracks and what you can play yourself into the input. I cant see why anyone would use these nowadays. You can probably pick one up cheap on ebay.

Comment

Originally posted by Guitar_Symphony View Post
            ok im looking to get a recorder that can do my guitar playing, then i can put drums over it, then vocals and then bass...not in that order but ya know...so in other words..like a one man band thing i can do in my bed room
            in a cheaper price range 300 or less...
            u guys know anything about this devise i need or what is a good one?

thanks alot guys.
            Do you have a computer? I'd look into getting something like this to start out with: http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com...age?sku=485736 . Comes with everything you need.
            Scott

Comment

I use Renoise 2.0 and Audacity for DAWs.
              I like EL34s.

Comment

I would suggest Pro Tools, assuming your computer is powerful enough to accomodate it.
                Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

thanks guys...
                  i can play all the instruments and sing.
                  i just want something i can lay all my tracks over to make a complete song/album all my self....because where i live no one likes metal
                  i know some people just use a usb mic. but i want to know a descent way to do it to sound good

i have a pretty strong HP laptop. so if that helps any.
                  again i want to do all the playing and singing....even down to the Cowbell....i need more cowbell.
                  Last edited by Guitar_Symphony; 11-23-2010, 12:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Spivonious View Post
                    Do you have a computer? I'd look into getting something like this to start out with: http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com...age?sku=485736 . Comes with everything you need.
                    Yes, that is insanely cheap. Pro Tools Essential is included. Essential is a cut-down version of Pro Tools, but it's true Pro Tools. You could hand over any session done with this $220 setup to Bob Rock and he can import the session no problem into his million dollar Pro Tools setup and start working on it right away
                    Henrik
                    AUDIOZONE.DK - a guitar site for the Jackson and Charvel fan

Comment

Check out Reaper. It's simple / easy to use. 30 day trial use and 40 bucks for license. I enjoy it over a lot of other DAW's out there.
                      Insert annoying equipment list here....

Comment

Check out Sony's ACID too. They have a free version that is fine if you don't want to use plug-ins or too many tracks (I think more than 10). For $50 that functionality gets unlocked. The $200 one gets you 24-bit recording and bussing. I use the $50 one because VST plugins really let you do anything.
                        Scott

Comment

Originally posted by Guitar_Symphony View Post
                          thanks guys...
                          i can play all the instruments and sing.
                          i just want something i can lay all my tracks over to make a complete song/album all my self....because where i live no one likes metal
                          i know some people just use a usb mic. but i want to know a descent way to do it to sound good

i have a pretty strong HP laptop. so if that helps any.
                          again i want to do all the playing and singing....even down to the Cowbell....i need more cowbell.
                          The package I linked to above will do all that you want and more. If you already have a microphone and some balanced speakers for mixing, then you could just get the M-Audio interface.
                          Scott

Comment

Standalone hard drive-based digital recorders can be had pretty cheap, and some of the BOSS units have built in drum machines (or at least some crappy beat generators).
                            I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I use a Roland VS2400. 24 tracks, 8x analog ins w/phantom power, phrase editing, VGA/keyboard/mouse ports, motorised faders. And it doesn't tie up my PC. But it cost me £650 used and can't do as much as Pro Tools.
                              Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

Working...
                              X