Jackson Headstock String Winding Direction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jackson Headstock String Winding Direction

I have a Randy Rhoads RR1. Is there a proper direction to wind the strings around the tuning pegs? Just eyeballing the line from the nut to the tuner, it seemed to me a good to do about half clockwise and half counter-clockwise. Does this make any significant difference, especially after the locking nut is locked down?

I'm having a difficult time keeping the intonation set, and wondered if this could be a factor.

For the 6 inline headstock, all strings should be wrapped in the same direction. This keeps the strings from touching each other at the tuning posts.

Intonation issues are settled at the bridge. If it's not staying intonated, your saddles may be slipping.

As well, if it's a used guitar, the bridge knife edges and/or pivot posts could be worn (flat spots).

And don't forget, the guitar cannot be perfectly intonated on all strings and all frets at all times.
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

They all go on anti-clockwise on a non reverse right handed neck. In theory you can fit them any way you like, but it would be a pain to deal with having to turn the tuning keys the wrong way for some strings but not the others, and it'd look dumb. The intonation has no dependency at all on how the string lies between nut and tuners, so look elsewhere if you're having a problem.
      Last edited by Tommie; 11-22-2010, 04:46 PM.

Comment

Thanks, guys! You're not only helpful but fast.

So I'll go with all counter-clockwise.

It's a new guitar, so *theoretically* nothing should be worn or slipping. I worry a little about the Tremol-No, which is set to lock the bridge into a fixed position--again, and even more so, theoretically. Guess I'll take it to yet another expert.

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
          For the 6 inline headstock, all strings should be wrapped in the same direction. This keeps the strings from touching each other at the tuning posts.

Intonation issues are settled at the bridge. If it's not staying intonated, your saddles may be slipping.

As well, if it's a used guitar, the bridge knife edges and/or pivot posts could be worn (flat spots).

And don't forget, the guitar cannot be perfectly intonated on all strings and all frets at all times.
          Amen to that. Damn imperfect world.
          HTTP 404 - Signature Not Found

Comment

These are locking tuners with a regular nut but the picture should give you the idea regardless. If I go to the other side of the peg the cuts in the slot aren't at the right angle. I'd assume a locking nut would be the same as far as what side of the tuner to string up on.

GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Locking nuts aren't slotted according to wind direction as regular nuts are, which are usually pre-cut or done so by the luthier for the intended guitar/headstock layout. You'll usually find pre-cut nuts for Gibsons such as Graphtec (larger in overall size than Strat nuts) slotted for 3 left and 3 right to match the 3x3 headstock. Strat nuts are generally pre-cut straight to match the typical Strat peg hole angle.

All of my non-locking Jacksons (basses, SLSs, Morton) use the straight cut nut, even on a bass with a pointyhead. The SLSs and Morton (3x3 heads) are also set up so they have straight string pull from the nut to the tuners, rather than fanned out like a Les Paul, so that may make a difference.
              I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by Hellbat View Post
                These are locking tuners with a regular nut but the picture should give you the idea regardless. If I go to the other side of the peg the cuts in the slot aren't at the right angle. I'd assume a locking nut would be the same as far as what side of the tuner to string up on.

This is the proper way to wind them.
                Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Working...
                X