Soldering kits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Soldering kits

I want to buy myself a new soldering kit. I no longer have the patience or finance for a shop tech to do what could be simple to do. I don't wanna spend megabucks, but I don't want cheap n nasty either. Suggestions?
    Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Dont know how much kits are, I have a hand me down Weller iron and take what I need of solder from my dad as well, but solderings not as easy as it sounds. Its almost an art form, but practice and some tips (no pun intended) and tricks will make perfect.
    HTTP 404 - Signature Not Found

Comment

Weller is a reliable great brand, however for your basic limited usage just about any iron will do. I personally like the http://www.amazon.com/Weller-WLC100-.../dp/B000AS28UC . Mind you some practice will go a long way....
      Enjoying a rum and coke, just didn't have any coke...

Comment

and remember, flux is your friend

hotrod

Comment

I have two Radio Shack basic soldering stations.
          20/40 watt switch, with a stand like the Weller.
          Having a good stand is essential to the health of the soldering iron tip.

Weller is good and probably available to you.

I use rosin core electronics solder...60/40, which may not be available in the UK.
          (Due to the lead-free standard there).
          If you are just doing pots and pups you might consider silver solder.

I never use flux, the rosin core takes care of that.

Comment

I'm quite happy with my Weller SP40 with a pointed tip, metal plate with a wire hanger and safetywire coiled for a stand, the wife-ish's used sponge, and rosin core solder. Just because nobody has said it yet, don't bother with the butane ones. They don't work very well and will burn the finish of the guitar very easily.
            Every man dies... Not every man really lives!!

Comment

I saw a solder paste in a syringe, silver bearing. Anyone used it? does it work well?
              I have a Weller, nice little tool, gets the job done.
              "illegal downloading saved people from having to buy that piece of shit you tried to pass off as music" - Nighbat

Comment

I have a Weller 40-watt with a really narrow tip, it does great for everything in a guitar, from mini switches to grounds on pots.

I use rosin-core solder with lead. I have some lead free stuff, it's completely shit, doesn't melt worth a damn without getting everything really hot and it doesn't flow worth crap, but hey at least we're not putting lead into the environment that came from the environment already.

Comment

I got a Radio Shack 20W/40W iron with a stand. It works great. I used to think I was just bad at soldering, but it was my crappy 15W iron. Weller is nice, but overpriced IMO.

As far as technique goes, remember to heat the wires and not the solder. If you do that, the solder will flow right onto the joint and be very strong.
                  Scott

Comment

Working...
                  X