pups for a bright guitar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pups for a bright guitar

So, there was a bit of discussion in the general section of JCF about pups for a bright guitar. I have an otherwise sweet shredder (27 frets, OFR, HB/S) that is way too trebly and bright. Not surprising as it has a solid maple body and an ebony fret board. Need a good pup to replace the SD Parallel Axis TremBucker that's stock in the bridge. Want something beefy but not sludgy. Talk of ToneZones and Customs and various Bareknuckle pups were put out there. Anyone want to add to that?

Maple body and ebony board screams George Lynch...how 'bout a Screamin' Demon?

Comment

SD Invader.
      Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

Originally posted by 6string40 View Post
        The screamin demon is a bright pickup. Tried it in a basswood and a korina bodied guitar both were REALLY bright. The Custom custom is designed to be less bright per it's description in there site. Never tried one but makes sense with an alnico II magnet in it.
        It's pronounced soops

Comment

If the other thread your talking about is not the ash bodied guitar/pickup thread, super 3 is a good choice.

what is your guitar anyway? sound killer, like to see it.

Comment

Originally posted by vector View Post
            So, there was a bit of discussion in the general section of JCF about pups for a bright guitar. I have an otherwise sweet shredder (27 frets, OFR, HB/S) that is way too trebly and bright. Not surprising as it has a solid maple body and an ebony fret board. Need a good pup to replace the SD Parallel Axis TremBucker that's stock in the bridge. Want something beefy but not sludgy. Talk of ToneZones and Customs and various Bareknuckle pups were put out there. Anyone want to add to that?
            Bareknuckle Ceramic Nailbomb, Alnico Nailbomb or Miracle Man. A Warpig maybe, but it may be a bit sludgy for you.
            I like EL34s.

Comment

The SD is the brightest pup I've ever used--not what the OP is looking for in this situation. The Tonezone has a lot of bass and so does the Custom. You'll get more bass from a bigger brass block on your OFR, too. You might have to make more than one mod to reduce treble and increase bass.

Comment

Not to steal the thunder of the OP, but why would Seymour and George design the Demon to be bright when it's used in a maple/ebony combo????

Comment

Originally posted by vector View Post
                  Need a good pup to replace the SD Parallel Axis TremBucker that's stock in the bridge.
                  Which one? There are three, and they are all quite different.

Comment

Not to steal the thunder of the OP, but why would Seymour and George design the Demon to be bright when it's used in a maple/ebony combo????
                    Because George likes a very bright tone?
                    I like EL34s.

Comment

Aside from being abit bright, the screamin Demon is versatile pickup once you get a handle on it.
                      Its not a forgiving pickup, sloppy playing will definitely be more noticeable.
                      You can get an acceptable Gibson sound from it, as well as an acceptable VH sound from it.
                      Does a nice chunky sound if you back off of it just a tad.
                      Does harmonics whether pinched or tapped nicely.

What many forget and should remember.
                      These signature pickups were made as integral part of a much wider broader scope of the artist use of his or her gear. You play a screamin demon through a 2x12 cabinet and with a decent 50 watt Marshall or Soldano head it will sing. Play it through a 10 inch peavy practice amp you will not expereince it's full capability.
                      Peace, Love and Happieness and all that stuff...

"Anyone who tries to fling crap my way better have a really good crap flinger."

I personally do not care how it was built as long as it is a good playing/sounding instrument.

Yes, there's a bee in the pudding.

Comment

The EVH Frankenstein PU was designed to be in a very bright guitar... Ash body, maple neck with a Floyd. I have it and think it is an incredible PU. Awesome for 80's metal. The Wolfgang is great as well. More modern sound and way hotter. Again designed in be in a bright guitar.

Comment

I don't think a guitar with a maple body is always bright--same with alder. I'm not sure why they made it that way, but I sold the SD I had because I couldn't find a guitar that needed all the treble it put out.

Comment

Originally posted by Trem View Post
                            If the other thread your talking about is not the ash bodied guitar/pickup thread, super 3 is a good choice.

what is your guitar anyway? sound killer, like to see it.
                            Hamer USA Cali Elite. Aztec Gold. Here's the link to some pics:
                            http://s279.photobucket.com/albums/k...0Aztec%20Gold/

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
                              Which one? There are three, and they are all quite different.
                              Whichever is stock in the mid 90's USA Hamer Californian Elites...

Comment

Working...
                              X