Pickups for Ash body

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pickups for Ash body

Since I respect the knowledge of this forum a hell of a lot more then another big forum I frequent, I feel I can ask this in confidence of recieving an answer that isn't "JB" or "JBJ"

I am going to build a 1 hum clone, and am thinking about an ash body (body will just be oiled).

What pickups would you recommend for an ash body, that is being coupled with a mapleboard neck (which has very bright potential)

PS, do not, unless jokingly recommend Bareknuckle Pickups, as a "Starving Student" I'm not in a position to spend 3x as much on a pickup that is gonna sound 10% better (which is retarded anyways)

Aside from that, fire away! I've been leaning towards a Duncan Custom, and there has to be a logical reason why the Music Zoo loaded that in their natural series guitars, when every idiot and their dumbass brother "needs" a JB in their guitar

hey, wait a minute, I ordered a JB for my 475... Not a bad pickup by anymeans, but its not the be-all-end-all
    Last edited by Frigo89; 11-11-2010, 08:15 AM.
    Out Of Ideas

You're talking about swamp ash, right? You don't see much of the hard Northern ash anymore, but I just want to be sure because it's completely different tonewise. We did a swamp ash strathead run here with a Custom in the bridge, and it was great. That would've been my recommendation before reading your post, so I think you're on the right track.

Comment

Originally posted by dg View Post
      You're talking about swamp ash, right? You don't see much of the hard Northern ash anymore, but I just want to be sure because it's completely different tonewise. We did a swamp ash strathead run here with a Custom in the bridge, and it was great. That would've been my recommendation before reading your post, so I think you're on the right track.
      yep, Swamp Ash
      Out Of Ideas

Comment

Originally posted by Frigo89 View Post
        yep, Swamp Ash
        Custom will work in either Northern or Swamp ash. I wish you could still get Northern Ash. My '79 is 2 pieces of Northern ash.
        I like EL34s.

Comment

I'd say Custom would be good to to pair with the JB in the other axe.

Either that or Super Distortion / Super 3.

Comment

I've got a Super Distortion and Super 2 combo in my swamp ash Carvin SC90 (maple neck-thru and maple board). I think it sounds great, if a little on the bright side. If I wanted to go warmer in the bridge, I'd probably go with a Tone Zone or Super 3.
            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
              I've got a Super Distortion and Super 2 combo in my swamp ash Carvin SC90 (maple neck-thru and maple board). I think it sounds great, if a little on the bright side. If I wanted to go warmer in the bridge, I'd probably go with a Tone Zone or Super 3.
              I have got a Super Distortion laying around, and realistically do also prefer a bright tone, so maybe I'll try that out first just for shits before I order anything else. But based on half of the responses so far, plus my initial thoughts, a Custom will be a fine "fallback plan"

The super D is pretty old too, likely a mid-late 80s. I actually had it in a DK2 for awhile, but bought another pickup to replace it after its done with paint (Pink & Black crackle baby!)
              Out Of Ideas

Comment

Yeah, definitely try the Super D first and see. I've also heard great things about the Duncan Custom, but have only used the 7-string version in an old mahogany Schecter.
                I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I've got a super 3 bridge and liquidfire in the neck of my northern ash/maple neck.
                  Basically the super 3 to tone down the brightness a bit, with added mids and less bass of the super d.
                  I haven't played a regular super d since the first time i tried it, cause i remember not liking it too too much fuzzy bass i think it had. Super3 has less bass but it is a little bit hot in the lows, and cleaner in the highs kinda, so i turn down the volume knob just ever so slightly sometimes with it makes it more balanced across the strings. It's addicting playing rhythm with it cause it's so punchy and crisp coupled with the bright woods.

The liquidfire is an excellent pickup in this guitar as well i thought i'd just try it out seemed like a good tone match from the tone chart things they have and it turned out really good, i don't think i could have chosen a better neck pickup for it and they match really well - great pickup for ash/maple in the neck it would be my only choice.

Comment

I love the Tone Zone in my Swamp Ash Strat. I play that one quite a bit.

Comment

It really depends on what kind of tones you're going for. I really, REALLY like the SD Invader in ash, as it stays bright but doesn't get shrill. The Full Shred gets some really tight muting and pick attack if that's something you want, and it's definitely on the bright side.
                      sigpic

Comment

There are a few pickups that always sound good to me in most any guitar. Duncan Custom, Duncan Custom Custom, Duncan Custom 5 and the Dimarzio SD. All great choices for any axe.

Comment

Working...
                        X