Copper tape under the floyd saddles?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Copper tape under the floyd saddles?

Does anyone else have copper-tape under their saddles?
    I took my floyd apart couple of days ago due to cleaning and intonation and I mentioned there were strips of copper tape under two of the saddles, which I now believe are there to increase the height of a string. Well, at least it looks like copper tape.
    Unfortunately I was dumb enough to just mention it when I had removed them all, so right now I'm puzzling around where they belong...
    The B string goes dead when I'm pulling up with the floyd, so I guess this one is a little low...

Anyway, is it usual to have this kind of modification done on a floyd?
    I was kind of surprised, since I didn't expect such a high grade item like an OFR to be in need of Mac-Gyver-ism like this...
    tremstick give-away (performer series trem)

I had copper tape under some saddles of my old Charvel Star. I believe they do that at the factory to shim them to match the neck radius since the standard Floyd radius is 10". You can just buy metal saddle shims and accomplish the same thing.
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Alright, so I guess the taped ones were meant to be for D and G string?

Comment

I'd think the B and the A strings would need to be up a little to make the radius a little flatter.

Comment

Aright, I think this goes well with the symptoms I'm having withe my B string at the moment.
          Thanks a lot!

Comment

No problem. Sometimes with saddle shims, it's just trial and error and patience!

Comment

Yes, I hear ya.
              Actually I just started to understand why some people love string thrus that much.
              Once you change one component of a floyds setup, string height, gauge, intonation, floyd level, tuning, truss rod adjustment, you start repeating every step over and over.

I'm just getting started with messing around with setting up a floyd, but so far it took me days to get a satisfying result.
              Sure, divebombs are cool, but hell, this shit is a tough challenge for my patience...
              Right now everything's working, the guitar is intonated, the action is cool and the floyd is on level, so it's gonna stay as it is, but I'll give B and A a try once I have to take it apart again.

Been thinking about a big block for quite a while now, well, maybe for christmas... mmmhhh....

Comment

Sorry you're having trouble with your Floyd - I love Floyds for the ease of setup.

I've used copper tape on my Floyd saddles to better match up the saddles to the neck radius - in my case, a 7.25" 60's style strat. Worked out great.
                -------------------------
                Blank yo!

Comment

For the ease of setup?
                  I understand if people like floyds for their stability or responsiveness, but never heard about people loving them for the ease of setup...
                  What other types of bridges do you use if the floyds are the easy ones?

Comment

I use the Allparts shims, they stay put nicely and they're consistent thickness.

Comment

Intonating a Floyd is a reason to hire a guitar tech.
                      Scott

Comment

I learned on Floyds in the '80s, so I think it's a breeze to set up after doing it so many times, but I don't own any guitars with Floyds at the moment.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                          I learned on Floyds in the '80s, so I think it's a breeze to set up after doing it so many times
                          Agreed. So easy. Intonation is a snap - too - if you know what you're doing.

I can pretty much get a Floyd level by "feel" when setting one up. I think the last one I did - I eyeballed the screws and only needed like a 1/2 turn to get it "right."
                          -------------------------
                          Blank yo!

Comment

Just curious - Haven't had any with shims - what holds the metal shims in place with the saddle when you move the saddle to intonate?
                            Every man dies... Not every man really lives!!

Comment

If these are the ones Makeajazznoiseher has been talking about, I think they stay in place rather with the screw than with the saddle.
                              http://www.allparts.com/Bridge-Shim-...p-2214-001.htm

Comment

Working...
                              X