Shielded Cavity w/ EMGs...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shielded Cavity w/ EMGs...

I have a soloist from 1987 that came stock with EMGs. Weird thing is they left out any sort of shielding and it looks to be on purpose. I am wondering if at the time they thought EMG's did not need shielding. Which leads to my question.

Should I add the standard shielding to the cavity and back of cavity cover? Since there is no ground wire for EMG's will it be effective or do I need to ground the shielding itself. I have heard stories of improper shield jobs that actually increased noise and want to avoid that.

Thanks,

Rich

Rich - Me again...

EMG's don't need shielding or grounding...low impedence so low noise...see: http://www.emginc.com/content/wiring...0230-0106D.pdf for more info/verify what I'm saying...good luck!
    Crime doesn't pay. Neither does lutherie...

Comment

Thanks so much.. now I know!

Comment

I always do a string ground anyway, but yeah, they have a mesh cage under the plastic, so they're shielded well enough with no paint or foil needed.

Comment

EMG's certainly need to be grounded! They may not need shielding, but you must ground them. Otherwise you won't get the proper output if any at all.
          "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
          Gotta get away from here.
          Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
          Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

Working...
          X