How do you glue a break like this?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do you glue a break like this?

Well UPS struck again and destroyed an almost perfect condition guitar. My question is how do I clamp it when I glue it back together.
    It's pronounced soops

Dowel it first.
    Clamping it will be fun, but not impossible.
    -Rick

Comment

yup what he said. just be precise or else you'll end up with a slight offset where the logo meets. if you have some spare wood sittin around you could cut it so that when the clamp goes on it makes a square. that way no shifting will occur. also use some double sided scotch tape between the headstock and the spare wood piece so it doesnt slip just tighten enough to hold tight. if you use gorilla glue it will expand to fill. not saying leave any gaps just dont over tighten.

Comment

Nah i wouldn't use gorilla glue, not for that.
        Dowel it if you can with two dowels don't have to be to thick just to help keep it from shifting,
        if that's a bitch just put some angled screws or a tab with screws on either side clamping it together into the back or possibly even a wrench holder across the crack in the back
        and just use regular yellow wood glue and just a fair amount not gooping, just a medium liberal layer on both pieces.
        Spread it all in the grain with your finger, add a little more and let them set a little bit before clamping so they have some tack first,
        and just let it dry a few days.
        Should be strong as new and you may hardly even be able to tell it was broke if you do it right.
        That's what i would do anyway.

That sux tho man, but it's a clean break looks like should be a fairly easy fix for what it's worth.
        Last edited by Trem; 11-09-2010, 09:28 PM.

Comment

I have a biscuit joiner. Does anyone use biscuits instead of dowels for a repair like this?

Comment

Yeah I've been trying to make a jig to keep the tip from shifting and using the tuner holes to clamp also. What sucks is it was sold to a very patient guy on Ebay and I would like to make it right. And of course UPS refuses to pay for the guitar saying it wasn't packaged properly.
            It's pronounced soops

Comment

Originally posted by Trussrod View Post
              I have a biscuit joiner. Does anyone use biscuits instead of dowels for a repair like this?
              Never tried a biscuit join on a a headstock repair before. Not sure how stable it would be.

With a dowel, you can set them in fairly deep in both directions to increase the stability of the repair.
              I've even seen metal dowels with splines used. They are press fit in. Over kill perhaps, but impossible to break.
              -Rick

Comment

Working...
              X