Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to repair a hairline crack below low E tuner?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to repair a hairline crack below low E tuner?

One of my Jackson's has a small hairline crack running from the low E screw to the edge of the headstock. What would be the best way to glue this without extending the crack and causing visible damage to the face of the headstock?

Originally posted by vklobucar View Post
    One of my Jackson's has a small hairline crack running from the low E screw to the edge of the headstock. What would be the best way to glue this without extending the crack and causing visible damage to the face of the headstock?
    This is a fairly common crack. I imagine some real thin superglue. Check out Stew-Mac.com for "Hot Shot" stuff. Dan Erlewine uses it.

Comment

Take the tuner off and see how deep the crack is first.If you can separate the crack slightly bleed in some thin super glue.
      And clamp it,you can bleed in some activator to help wick the glue down into the crack.Should be good to go.
      If you can't separate the crack just bleed in the thin super glue and clamp it.
      Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

I guess that white woodworking glue would be too thick? I thought of putting some in a syringe and shooting it into the crack.

What if I was to open the crack with a razor blade a bit and then fill it up?

Comment

Originally posted by vklobucar View Post
          I guess that white woodworking glue would be too thick? I thought of putting some in a syringe and shooting it into the crack.

What if I was to open the crack with a razor blade a bit and then fill it up?
          I think that should work too.

I have a Charvel Model 3 neck I got 2nd hand with a similar complete break that was poorly repaired with rubber cement. Luckily I got some good advice from a local luthier who said to dissolve/rub out the cement on both ends with acetone. After that I used wood glue (Titebond II) and ALOT of rubberbands to keep it in place...I didn't have the ability (or patience!) to make an appropriate jig for clamping. For good measure after the glue dried, I carefully drilled a small hole thru the side of the piece and placed in a wood dowel. It's on my main player and has been great since.
          "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

I'll give that a try!
            Last edited by vklobucar; 11-16-2010, 05:00 AM.

Comment

Working...
            X