Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Trying to find replacement neck plate screws....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trying to find replacement neck plate screws....

Hi All,

Does anyone know the size of neck plate screws?

They are for my 93 Dinky. I know they are metric. I tried to find some at Ace Hardware but nothing fit...It's pretty close to a #12 oval head self tapping screw but this #12 screw is slightly larger and the threads are slightly closer together...

Anyone know the exact size?

dinkyguitar

My first place when looking for OEM Jackson Charvel parts is www.fretsonthenet.com

Budman is a fellow JCF member and mega cool guy! If he does not have it I am pretty sure he can make it for you.

Comment

Some dinky's had shorter forward neck screws ie the dinky bodies with the scalloped heel.
      Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

I tried buying gold screws for a DK2 and they were too small. I think they were for a Fender, so be careful to get the right ones.

Comment

Do you ever get the feeling that everytime you need a part it's got be a "custom" part...or unique? It's never at the hardware store...always "has" to be a rare uncommon part?

That's what I feel like with these screws...Fender's are #8 non metric..#10's are too small, although the thread pattern is the same...#12 like I said before is too thick, .216".

I was able to narrow it down to M5, 5mm thick, around .202".

straycat's correct about the length...since I have a scalloped heal, my forward screws are shorter, maybe .25"...

I needed these screws because I'm planning on doing a refret and I built a neck jig along with a body block. The body block is thicker so I needed longer screws to bolt the neck on...I finally realized I may never get these screws so I counter sunk them a little.

Here's my setup...

Comment

here you go: http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Hardware...ent_Screw.html

Comment

Originally posted by moku View Post
              Those are Fender-spec screws, not Charvel/Jackson. They don't use standard Fender neck screws.

Comment

sorry! i'm used to buying vintage kramer parts. just checked my vintage charvel and it seems the screw is thicker than a #12. so now i'm baffled. dinkyguitar says the screws should be thinner than #12... :think:
                hopefully someone else more knowledgeable will chime in.

Comment

These older model series Charvel guitar necks, including the tooth-paste logo necks came with over-sized screws, not your average neck screw. As far as size goes, I have no freaking clue. Maybe you could recess or countersink by drilling an over-sized hole in each of the screw holes of your block, big enough to accommodate the screw head enabling you to use a set of the longer over-sized screws I could send you that came with the older model series. If you're interested in the longer screws for this, let me know.

Comment

I had this same issue... I ended up buying a neck plate with screws off of Ebay. Couldn't find a match for anything.

Comment

@ MJNH-From what I read, he has the original screws, he just needs longer screws with the same thread diameter/pitch for his jig.

Comment

Sure, sure, I get it. But what I mean is, I wasn't able to find the right size/pitch in the standard length so I don't think he'll have much luck with it, especially finding some very long (for this size) screws.

I think his best bet is to modify the jig like what you said, plon.

Comment

Jackson changed their neck screw specs sometime in the 90s, so buying off Ebay is a crapshoot. If you need the old thicker bolts, you'll have to find a neckplate/screw combo deal from the same year as the neck you have, otherwise you'll end up with the wrong screws.

I went through that a few years ago when I was buying loose plates/screws sets off Ebay. It really hurt when I tried to put an older fat-screw neck on a newer skinny-screw body. The body holes can be reamed out for bigger screws, but there's no way the smaller screws will even begin to hold a fat-hole neck.
                          I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Working...
                          X