Licenced floyd rose, worth it or not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Licenced floyd rose, worth it or not?

How crappy do you think this thing is? Should I just get it its like 24 bucks if it really sucks I could just get a tremstopper I guess and just save up for a real one? http://cgi.ebay.com/Floyd-Rose-Licen...62962692206475
    “On Ecstasy, Joan Rivers looks like Pamela Anderson, so imagine what Pamela Anderson looked like.”

Don't do it!!! Consider this before you plunk down yer cash- the less expensive FR lic'd knock-offs are typically made from pot metals- cheap metal alloys with a low melting point. The low melting point makes pot metal very easy to cast, but the generally low quality can cause problems during casting and at a later date. Inferior metals means inferior product. Secondly, you don't know where and by whom it's being made, therefore, you don't know what the quality controls, if any, are. From personal experience I can tell you two things about cheap ass lic'd FR's- 1) the trem bar sits a bit higher in the housing (and therefore, is higher off the playing surface of the body) due to the elongated collar screw. 2) The cheaper metals usually result in the knife edges, the string blocks in the locking nut, as well as the string saddles wearing down faster and causing a marked decrease in performance and stability. Save up for a few weeks or months and get yourself a Gotoh ( new- 124 bucks), or a good used OFR or Schaller lic'd FR for around 75 bucks. Even the Ibanez Edges are a consideration but be sure to check for whether they can be readily swapped in without routing or repositioning the posts.

Comment

any opinion on those gfs floyds? ive heard they are pretty good.
      “On Ecstasy, Joan Rivers looks like Pamela Anderson, so imagine what Pamela Anderson looked like.”

Comment

Originally posted by mikamee14 View Post
        any opinion on those gfs floyds? ive heard they are pretty good.
        Can't say I've ever played one... or if I did, I wasn't aware of it. lol!!

Comment

Thanks for all the info I appriciate it. I'm just going to save for a ofr I found one for 120 bucks.

Comment

be sure to check for whether they can be readily swapped in without routing or repositioning the posts.

Very important advice.. And there's an option that will fit the routing on pretty much any body. Will an OFR fit? What are you replacing or installing it on?
            Every man dies... Not every man really lives!!

Comment

the pole/stud distance btn the licensed floyd and the original floyd is the same. no issues there.
              the issue is the rear end. sometimes the recessed cavity on bodies with licensed floyds are a bit small for an original floyd rose because the string lock screws on OFR are a biut longer than the licensed ones. but if the floyd is floating (non-recessed body) then should work just fine.

Comment

Working...
              X