EMG Ohm Impedance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EMG Ohm Impedance

Does anyone know the correct ohm reading on emg 81,85 pickups? Also how can you test with a multimeter? I have a set of 81,85 and when you switch from the bridge to the neck pickup you get a big difference in volume on a clean channel and a noticeable amount on the distortion channel. I cannot figure out why the 85 is louder than the 81 when switching pickups on the fly. It is almost like using an emg afterburner switch. Thanks.
    I put most psychiatrists on the couch.

I don't think you can really determine anything about an active pickup by using a multimeter. There is active circutry between the meter and the actual coils of the pickup. Neck pickups can have more output just due to being closer to the middle of the vibrating string. More motion = more output. Try raising the bridge PU and lowering the neck PU to balance things out a bit.

Also if your guitar is wired using the quick connects, try and find someone with a known good 81 to swap in for quick testing.
    GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Check out the installation instructions or the sheet on their site..
      I think it is listed
      Cold Hollow Machinery

Comment

I believe the 85 actually has more measurable output than the 81 anyway, at least that's what the old EMG catalogs and website used to say.
        IMO, the 85 sounds better in the bridge with the 81 or a 60 in the neck.
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by Hellbat View Post
          I don't think you can really determine anything about an active pickup by using a multimeter. There is active circutry between the meter and the actual coils of the pickup.
          Correct. You'd be measuring the resistance of the circuit and not the magnet coil. It's a meaningless number.
          Scott

Comment

Working...
          X