Emg Solderless Kits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Emg Solderless Kits

I have noticed a difference in the EMG solderless and the regular hardwired wiring diagrams. In the hardwired diagram there is a capacitor soldered in between the volume and tone pots whereas the solderless diagram shows the connecting wires plugging in between them. What I'm getting at is if you use the solderless kit, it eliminates a need for a capactor I suppose. Any change in tone or sound if you go this route? Does the pots have the capacitor built in? Where is the capacitor? Anybody. Thanks.
    Last edited by Dr loomis; 11-03-2010, 03:21 PM.
    I put most psychiatrists on the couch.

I have just found out the answer on youtube. The capacitor is already soldered on the tone pot from the factory. So if you go the solderless route you don't have to worry about were the capacitor goes.
    Last edited by Dr loomis; 11-03-2010, 03:22 PM.

Comment

um by solderless do you mean the quick connect version compared to the hardwired version? as for the resistor, are you talking about the capacitor? i've bought both hardwire and quick connect versions new and both came with a capacitor between vol and tone iirc

Comment

No, I think he means this:

http://www.emginc.com/products/index/281/231/101

Comment

You both are right, I meant a capacitor instead of a resistor. LOL! I edited my post question BTW, and yea I was talking about the solderless quick connect cables instead of the hardwired version. I have a set of emg 81,85 hardwired and I was gonna buy the quick connect kit, but I did not see a capacitor in the kit. (Refer to the link above), so I was wondering about it. I got on youtube and by mistake I found a premiere guitar video demoing the quick connect cables for the emgs, and the guy pointed out that the capacitor was already soldered onto the tone pots that come with the kit.

Comment

This is just my opinion... But the older hardwired EMG seem to me to be way better sounding than the newer sets. More "presence" for lack of a better term.
            Every man dies... Not every man really lives!!

Comment

I used the wiring kit in one of my guitars. There was so little space that it was difficult for me to solder it right, so I took the eay way ot... it was really easy to use.

Comment

Ordered a kit for my DKMG upgrade.
                Charvel CST 060 1992
                Charvel CST 070 1992
                Charvel CDS 090 1993
                Gibson Les Paul Standard 1993
                Gibson Les Paul DC 2007
                Gibson Les Paul Traditional 2013
                Gibson Les Paul Classic 1999
                Duesenberg 49er 2012
                Duesenberg V-Caster 2007
                Duesenberg Starcaster 2006
                History TH-LS Limited 2009
                History SH-LSV 2010

Comment

This is a very neat and easy kit to install and my DKMG with Seymour Duncan Blackouts is now one awesome guitar. The pots are the rite size for the Jacksons as well, the Seymour Duncans pots in it's pickup kit where bigger size thread hole.No capacitors used, I'll put up some pics of the pots.

Last edited by THOMO; 11-24-2010, 06:06 AM.
                  Charvel CST 060 1992
                  Charvel CST 070 1992
                  Charvel CDS 090 1993
                  Gibson Les Paul DC 2007
                  Duesenberg 49er 2012
                  Duesenberg V-Caster 2007
                  History SH-LSV 2010

Comment

That does look like one fairly nicely organized control cavity

How are the Blackouts compared to EMGs?

Comment

The Blackouts are better by far they are nice even on a clean channel, roll the volume off with gain and they clean up very well indeed...............
                      Last edited by THOMO; 12-01-2010, 04:39 PM.
                      Charvel CST 060 1992
                      Charvel CST 070 1992
                      Charvel CDS 090 1993
                      Gibson Les Paul DC 2007
                      Duesenberg 49er 2012
                      Duesenberg V-Caster 2007
                      History SH-LSV 2010

Comment

I'm gonna try the solderless kit on my DK2M upgrade, right now all I have is 2 EMG81's so I'll try an 81/81 setup until I can trade one of my 81's for an 85,89, or even a 60.

Comment

i have to agree with warlock. the hardwires seem to sound better, but being one of those guys that cant ever decide and stay with what i have set up, the solderless kit looks to be a great investment. the quick connect was a great idea, but still required resoldering when moving to another guitar. this would fix that.

Comment

Working...
                          X