Volume knob repair in DK2M

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Volume knob repair in DK2M

Can any one help me with re-attaching my volume and tone knob to their individual poles? they just came off the other day. Do I use a glue or something?

Fahim
    Ashique M. Fahim
    Instrumental Rock Guitarist/Singer/Songwriter

www.facebook.com/iamfahim
    www.myspace.com/amfahim
    www.reverbnation.com/ashiquemfahim
    www.youtube.com/kalapoka666

Are these split shaft pots?

Comment

they should have a small screw in the side. Use a jeweller's screwdriver to loosen the screw, pop the knob back on the shaft, and tighten the screw again. Be sure to hold the knob off the face of the guitar so you don't gouge the finish as you use it.
      Hail yesterday

Comment

Originally posted by Trussrod View Post
        Are these split shaft pots?
        umm if you mean if they have coil taps, then no they are not. they are just standard knobs/shafts that come with the standard Dinky DK2M.

VitaminG
        they should have a small screw in the side. Use a jeweller's screwdriver to loosen the screw, pop the knob back on the shaft, and tighten the screw again. Be sure to hold the knob off the face of the guitar so you don't gouge the finish as you use it.

I will try that tonight, but I was wondering if they are locked down with screws, how come they came off? Just wondering.
        Ashique M. Fahim

www.myspace.com/amfahim

Comment

Sometimes the screws aren't tightened the whole way, or the knobs weren't completely on when they were tightened.
          Scott

Comment

The knobs either press on or use set screws to hold them in place. All the potentiometers that I've seen had a gap in the middle of the shaft. A set screw knob initially has the screw between the gap in the shaft. When they become loose I cut two small pieces of card board (from a legal pad--for example) and replace the knob with the screw facing the side of either shaft instead of the gap. This should work with press on knobs, too. The idea is to keep the sides of the shaft from moving in toward the center--this is usually what causes the knobs to become loose.

Comment

The one on the left is a solid shaft pot and the one one the right is a split shaft pot.
              Every man dies... Not every man really lives!!

Comment

Hey thanks guys for the help. I haven't got time to fix this yet. The picture helps, mine is the split shaft pot on the right. I didn't know its name before. So am I still going to try the screw technique with the split shaft?

Thanks again guys.
                Ashique M. Fahim

www.myspace.com/amfahim

Comment

Some knobs have a spline inside and some are just round. Yours should be splined. You can also spread the split shaft a bit to make it fit tighter too. JUST A BIT (it will break if you go too far). When you do it, pull the screw and see if it's pointy or flat on the end. If it's pointy, if you line it up at the split, it will push the sides out as you tighten and hold tight on the shaft (trussrods 1st way). Trussrods second way works too. But make sure you put something in the middle of the split or you'll have what the previous owner did to my soloist and crushed the split closed. Now I have to spread them and hopefully not break the shaft. Aluminum doesn't like to be bent like that without breaking..

Comment

I have to say it. What happened to the days when we were able to figure this kind of stuff out for ourselves? It's hardly quantum physics after all.

Comment

Originally posted by Tommie View Post
                      I have to say it. What happened to the days when we were able to figure this kind of stuff out for ourselves? It's hardly quantum physics after all.
                      We aren't far from the day where people will demand a youtube instructional video to turn on their cold water tap.

I guess it might be better than the alternative though. I took everything I could get my hands on apart when I was a kid and couldn't get 50% of it back together afterwards hehe.
                      GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

IMO people who ask questions like this only want ideas. I'd rather ask a question about a basic issue than risk damaging anything through trial and error.

Comment

+1.. And some of us are extremely mechanical and analytical, some are not at all, and most fall in the middle. I build jet engines, motorcycles, cars, heavily mod guitars, etc.. but my brother can't assemble a Walmart TV stand. But he's only an idiot if he doesn't ask questions and fucks something up. And then there's brain farts.. Ask if you need...

Comment

It's guitar physics

Comment

Working...
                            X