Nut Replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nut Replacement

haha I said NUT But really, I'm contemplating replacing the stock nut that's on my Jackson Concept RR with a Pre-slottted black Tusq nut. Has anyone done a nut replacement on their own guitar. Any tips, or recommendations? Thanks

I replaced a broken nut. I was told by a tech to just use a couple dots of white Elmers glue. Basically, it doesn't need to be bonded with any super string stuff, because it doesn't need to be, and it needs to come off easy if you need to replace it. As for the nut, I just bought one preslotted from the store, and glue it on per my instructions, and it worked fine. Only thing with the precut ones is I had to sand the bottom it a little to make it work, but no big deal. All told, it was pretty easy. If your nervous about doing it, keep in mind that if it doesn't work, you alway remove and try again or bring to a tech.

Comment

I was looking at the nut on the guitar now that I'm home and now I'm not sure it is plastic. Does anyone know what the stock nut is made of?

Comment

I replaced the nut on my Model 6 with a black Tusq nut. It was the "gibson style pre-slotted" one. It worked perfect. Had to file/tryout/file/tryout etc the bottom till it was the right height then filed the sides to match the neck. It doesn't file very fast so it took a while (it's slick like graphite, so...).
        And don't know what the stock nut is made of.. sorry..
        Every man dies... Not every man really lives!!

Comment

Okay, thanks for the info warlock. I'm undecided at this point since I'm not sure what the nut is made out of. I may take it to a tech and ask if they know.

Comment

Working...
          X