Some changes to my Polar White SD1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some changes to my Polar White SD1

Changed the pickups to a Super Distortion and an Air Classic, too bad they are different shades of creme Oh well, I love the sound I am getting now. Here is one more shot, really shows the tall bridge pickup mount. Oh yeah, it also has a Switchcraft toggle and a new knob.

Comment

Nice! No worries on the different cream colors of the pickups. It just adds to the vintage look IMO.

Comment

Nice! How did you handle slanting the neck?

Comment

Originally posted by Guitar Lawyer View Post
          Nice! How did you handle slanting the neck?
          The way they come with the floating, non-recessed Floyd just makes it work out this way, I didn't change anything but the ring.

Comment

Nice. That's how they should have come in the first place.

I'm not digging the tall ring on anything but Les Pauls, and I'd toss a brass knob on that sucker - but other than that - very cool!
            -------------------------
            Blank yo!

Comment

Originally posted by Grandturk View Post
              Nice. That's how they should have come in the first place.

I'm not digging the tall ring on anything but Les Pauls, and I'd toss a brass knob on that sucker - but other than that - very cool!
              I know the brass knob is "historically accurate" but mis-matched hardware makes me crazy! I go back and forth on the pickup rings, I had a short angled one on last night, but changed it back to the tall. I don't like the pickup coils being so exposed and up out of the ring, looks wrong to me. Love the sound of the Super Dist. though, never would have tried it because of the name, but did try it in my buddy's SD-1 and loved it. Great all around tone in IMHO.

Comment

Originally posted by jmsaxon69 View Post
                Love the sound of the Super Dist. though, never would have tried it because of the name, but did try it in my buddy's SD-1 and loved it. Great all around tone in IMHO.
                Oh yeah. Truly one of the greatest pickups ever made. I've got them in a bunch of my axes. I've got flat creme rings on my Green HRF which I prefer over the slanty rings.
                -------------------------
                Blank yo!

Comment

On the tall ring, I will sand mine to get a good match for the amount of exposed coils.

I think all it needs is a cream switch tip, but the white is cool too.

Nice job!

Comment

I thought the switch tip was creme, just WAY light colored, but you are right, it is white! I need a cream one...

Comment

DiMarzio pisses me off with the mis-matched creams as well.

Comment

on a white guitar, white pickups would have been better anyway IMO ^^. But it still looks cool and it's not that much disturbing IMO...

Comment

Was definataly inspired by the Music Zoo Nitro Aged guitars. The poly finish won't ever look right in relation, but I like the more vintage type look the cream stuff gives.

Comment

White pickups only look really good with white rings (or chrome/gold to match other hardware) on a pure white (Alpine White, Snow White) guitar - on a Polar White guitar like the SD1 I think cream was the right choice.

Comment

I decided to give the Dimarzio 36th Anniv PAF pickups a go, ordered double creme set, one F and one regular. I should have them in a few days! Not sure it will be worth more photos, but I'll at least report on the pickups.

Comment

Working...
                              X