Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Charvel acoustic repair question. File a Paypal claim or live with it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charvel acoustic repair question. File a Paypal claim or live with it?

So scored a sweet Charvel 625 acoustic electric on ebay for $142.00

The seller mentioned that there was a small surface scratch on the face but no other issues other than needing a new set of strings and a setup perhaps.

Well it arrived today and much to my horror there is a long crack along the bridge pins!

Is this a normal issue with low end acoustic and worth repairing? Should I be filing a Paypal claim?

I was not expecting a Taylor for $142.00 but I do not see how he could not have seen this flaw. While my shit camera does not show it really well, its mega obvious when you pick up the guitar.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...#ht_500wt_1156
    Last edited by vklobucar; 10-26-2010, 07:14 PM.

Did you contact the seller about it?
    Every man dies... Not every man really lives!!

Comment

Not yet as I got in pretty late last night.

Problem is that I also paid $42.00 S&H as well as another $24.00 in Customs and Duties given that I am located in Montreal.

Is it reasonable to ask that he cover say, half the repair? I do not want to ship it back for a full refund as I would then kiss that extra $66.00 goodbye not to mention have to pay the return shipping as well no?

I have seen luthiers mix some matching wood dust and super glue to make a reasonable repair. How strong it is and how long it lasts is another question.

Comments?

Comment

Sent the seller the following message this afternoon......

"The Charvel acoustic arrived yesterday and I instantly noticed the there was a MAJOR crack in the bridge between the saddle pins. How was this not noticed by yourself nor even mentioned in your eBay auction listing?

After speaking with my local guitar repairman, I was informed that a “makeshift” repair could be performed with wood and glue. While this does indeed significantly reduce the value of the guitar (crack will still show) it is a cheap fix

I have taken many detailed digital picture and can forward them to your email address if requested.

However a real “long-term” repair would involve a complete replacement of the bridge. Not a cheap task at well over $150.

Again, I am rather disappointed that this was not disclosed on the auction.

How do you suggest we solve this issue? I am hopefully that this can be solved mutually and avoid a PayPal claim on my part."

Comment

Yeah, thats the way I'd go is get it repaired and get the seller to cover half. Were the strings under full tension on shipping? That might have done it. Chances are it wasn't cracked when he sent it. I would think a proper repair would last for quite some time on a crack like that.
          GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Full tension shipped in a soft shell case to "frozen hell" aka Montreal, Canada. Think that could have done it?

Comment

Local repair shop did a great job and the Charvel is as good as new. Also the seller refunded me $25.00 to cover half the repair so 100% positive feedback went her way.

Case closed!

Last edited by vklobucar; 10-31-2010, 09:31 AM.

Comment

wow thats a great repair job. glad it worked out.

Comment

Holy crap! Nice job!!
                  Every man dies... Not every man really lives!!

Comment

Ya my local luthier is really great and very reasonable as well. Guitar plays really great and the abalone looks sweet too!

I keep saying that I know it's no $2000 Taylor but with brass bridge pins from www.floydroseupgrades.com and some thick D'Addario strings it really sound great.

What an ebay score for only $142.00!

Last edited by vklobucar; 11-01-2010, 04:15 AM.

Comment

Looks just like mine, except mine has black knobs on the EQ.
                      |My CSG gallery|
                      (CSG=AlexL=awesome)

Comment

How does yours sound? Are you happy with it overall?

Comment

I had one, I wanted one in the worst way. Unfortunatley the one I had was a total dog. Sounded like a cardboard box with strings, action was a mile high, fretwork was laughable at best. Its a shame because I really had high hopes for that guitar too! Im sure there are better ones out there than mine, but I wont be buying one unless I can play it in person first.
                          Imagine, being able to be magically whisked away to... Delaware. Hi... Im in... Delaware...

Comment

Working...
                          X