truss rod adjustment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• truss rod adjustment

Anyone know what size I would need on an 86 Jackson? I found a few threads on here mentioning 1/4". To me, 1/4" looks slightly too big, but I can't tell since my bit is too thick and won't fit in there. Which brings me to my next point... If i buy one of those tools online, are they any thinner walled than a standard socket bit? I'm getting really frustrated that I can't fit a socket or even needle nose pliers in there.

Whatever you do don't go sticking needle nose pliers in there. There's a right tool for the job and needle nose pliers aren't it. I do think they are 1/4". Get this truss rod tool from Carvin, it also doubles as a screw driver. At that price it can't be beat, although the shipping is high.

http://www.carvinguitars.com/product...uct=TR1&cid=42

The wrenches from Stewmac are to big to fit like you are describing. The Carvin will work.

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Truss_ro...ctures#details

Comment

Originally posted by Sharkfin View Post
      Whatever you do don't go sticking needle nose pliers in there. There's a right tool for the job and needle nose pliers aren't it. I do think they are 1/4". Get this truss rod tool from Carvin, it also doubles as a screw driver. At that price it can't be beat, although the shipping is high.

http://www.carvinguitars.com/product...uct=TR1&cid=42

The wrenches from Stewmac are to big to fit like you are describing. The Carvin will work.

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Truss_ro...ctures#details
      thanks! you're positive the carvin one will fit? I just kind of assumed all these tools were made by the same manufacturer and were all the same. but the carvin is thinner walled?

Comment

The Carvin 1/4" is thinner and will work.

Comment

thank you very very much. saves me much time and trouble.

Comment

carvin truss rod tool does not fit

Comment

Really? Damn, I was sure that would work. Sorry, if you don't want the tool PM me and I'll take it off your hands. I have a use for it.

Comment

thanks for the kind offer, i'll be sure to pm you if it doesn't work out. as a last effort i've fully slacked the strings and have the guitar leaning on the wall with the fretboard facing the wall. hopefully it'll bend just enough to let me fit the thing in there.

Comment

So was the Carvin wrench too small or too big?
                  "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

Do you happen to have a Kahler type behind the nut string lock? Like this:

Comment

the socket size was correct, but it was not thin walled enough to fit inside. i do not have a nut like that. i ended up taking a mini screwdriver and hammer, and carefully chiseled out enough wood behind the nut to be able to fit the tool in there.

Comment

Truss rod wrenches don't get much more thin walled than that, but whatever works!

Comment

maybe they changed their design, mine was quite thick to be honest... possibly more thick than the standard socket bits i was using. but yeah, at least i eventually got it to work

Comment

I removed the string lock and the plate and used a 7MM Snap-On wrench. Boxed end side. Works like a charm. That is on a 87/88 Model 3. Looks the same.

Comment

Working...
                            X