Question about 2 guitars and the difference in tone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about 2 guitars and the difference in tone

I have an RR pro and a Charvel M5a. Both are neckthru, with a maple neck and Poplar wings. Obviously 1 is a strat, and the other a V, with Ebony vs. Rosewood fingerboards. Same bridges; Schaller Floyd vs. OFR. Now the RR sounds like a monster with an X2N in the bridge, I recently installed the same in the Charvie and it sounds like muffled poo. I pulled a PATB-2 out of the Charvie which also sounded like muffled poo. I replaced the volume pot. as well, wondering if maybe it was crappy, still the same muffled poo tone. The wiring is pretty hard to mess up with only three components; the pickup, volume pot, and jack, so that shouldn't be an issue.

I understand that they're two different shapes, etc., but they should sound pretty close given there similiar construction, shouldn't they? Is this just the way this axe sounds with these higher output pups? Or would installing a tone pot., even if I always have it turned up bright all the time, help take the pillow off my speakers? Any other ideas?

Isn't is amazing how no two guitars sound the same?

Explain to the wife that this is why you need one of each, because they all sound different.

Comment

True that, I really like the feel of the Charvel, I want that growl out of it.

Comment

Originally posted by etepbbb View Post

True that, I really like the feel of the Charvel, I want that growl out of it.
        Just keep swapping pickups until you get it right. Maybe a Duncan Custom? A Super Distortion? Something with an edge on it?

Comment

I was thinking Duncan Dist. next.

Comment

Poo, muffled or otherwise, is a growlER.
            Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
              Isn't is amazing how no two guitars sound the same?
              Thats the bitch of it sometimes too. No two sound the same so you find yourself with three guitars but you favor one over the others no matter what. I have no other excuse other than I just love me some Jacksons and enjoy different aesthetics. if it werent for the occasional change in tonal tastes, thats all it would boil down to, purty!
              HTTP 404 - Signature Not Found

Comment

Working...
              X