Soloist String slippage?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Soloist String slippage?

Hi guys I'm just curious why the outer strings on USA Soloists (especialy the high E) are so close to the edge of the friggin neck. I tried two different ones at a local shop, a lightly used one and a brand spankin new snakeskin beauty and the high E seems way too close to the edge of the frets and seems to slip off when you play the higher notes up past the 12 fret or so all the way to the 24th, are they making them like this intentionaly??:think:

Sorry if this sounds harsh but, if you can't play a properly-made Soloist without having the strings slip off the neck, you can't play the guitar.

Now, I have seen a few where the strings are off center on the neck, so either the low E is very close to the edge, or the high E (usually the high E) which is a problem with the bridge and/or nut location. And in that case it might be a little easier to pull or push the string of the edge of the neck than a typical Soloist or other Jackson.

However the string spacing is the same as any other guitar with a Floyd, and the neck is a good 1/16th wider, so... There is a lot more room between the E's and the edge of the fretboard on a Charvel or Jackson than there is on, say, a Fender Strat.

If the strings are reasonably centered on the neck, and you're pushing/pulling the E's off the edges... You're doing it wrong.

Comment

I was going to say "Are you playing it right, bending the strings in the right direction?"

Of course you could always get a new locking nut or regular nut put on if that's still an issue.

Comment

Unfortunately, I guess I'm not the only one who has had this problem. To me, the reason must be something to do with the manufacturing process. My first USA Soloist had this problem; I've got a lot of guitars yet none where the high E string was so close to the edge of the fret board (I do have one that has the opposite problem, on the low E, but still not nearly as evident).

I tried for six months to get used to it...then I got another one in a different color and it was centered perfectly; so the first one got sent back for warranty repair. Now she plays like a dream.

I'd say beware buying online, but both guitars were purchased that way. At least you got to see and play it in the store before dropping the bucks! I've read plenty of complaints about this issue, so it seems that it's just plain luck. By the way, it's due to improperly aligned Floyd posts. The solution is a pull/fill/redrill; not something you want to have done on a brand new guitar, but it is what it is. At least it didn't cost me anything for the repair (shipping was covered; one of the nice things about being a Fender guitar, just drop it off at an authorized dealer) other than time...three months.

Comment

I bought a brand new SL1 (mail order) a few years ago. Same problem,,,the high E was hanging on for dear life. The problem
          was that the high E saddle on the Floyd bridge was spaced far away from the B saddle,,,,like really noticably defective. I've yet to see another floyd rose like this,,,it was weird, and I can't believe the guitar left the factory with such a deformed bridge. I sent the guitar back, as I didn't want to deal with this on a new guitar. Got a new SL2H shortly after, and it's perfect.

Comment

Ive had that problem with numerous soloists . Its not a real big deal but it shouldnt be off center. First thing I look at now is where is the E string in relation to the edge. A lot of guitars on ebay have that problem. Maybe the guy who lines up the strings needs better lenses .

Comment

It's not uncommon unfortunately, but it shouldn't happen. It's even been spotted on some CS guitars, but I'm not gonna say which ones. They're not mine though
              Popular is not the same as good
              Rare is not the same as valuable
              Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

Ive had guitars do that, I dont recall if my solist did that, but it makes pull offs difficult sometimes and is rather annoying.
                HTTP 404 - Signature Not Found

Comment

My soloist has the same problem, but I got used to it. Not a big deal after a while. When I first played it I had problems sweeping but the more I played it the more used Ive become to it. So it was a issue, but once you get used to it, you really get to love the guitar.

Part of the problem I think is how they finish the edges of the frets. They round out the edge of the fretboard too much and the fret starts to slope downwards too soon. I really hope that made sense.

Comment

Yeah, I've had that problem too with my Soloists. But like others, I got used to it and could eventually compensate for it without any problems.

Comment

Them same here... It's as if the floyd routing itself is a bit misaligned. The noticeable but not too severe to affect playing much. Makes you wonder the state of the quality control though (my first Soloist was a total mess that never should have left the factory in the first place). Too bad it's nearly impossible to buy a new USA Jackson from a store back here in Finland and with a record of 2 guitars of questionable condition out of 2 ordered via 'net (through a reputable shop) leaves me very cautious to order another anytime soon.

Comment

I have not run into this problem on any of my Soloists but I've seen it before. I believe Acesofbelkan is correct about the fret edges although I'm no professional luthier. I suspect that for someone with a light touch the string doesn't roll off the edge and so it passes quality control/check. The end user may have a heavier touch and off the edge it goes. Not trying to make excuses for Jackson/Charvel but just saying that whoever finished the frets and checked it may indeed have had no trouble at all playing it at the factory. Overall Jackson/Charvel's quality control is way better than most other brands IMHO.
                        Rudy
                        www.metalinc.net

Comment

Shit. Now you guys have me worried. When I get home later in the week I'll check all my guitars out.

It sound like it's the Bridge end of the fretboard where the problem is. Anyone have issues by the nut?

Comment

Originally posted by MakeAJazzNoiseHere View Post
                            Sorry if this sounds harsh but, if you can't play a properly-made Soloist without having the strings slip off the neck, you can't play the guitar.

Now, I have seen a few where the strings are off center on the neck, so either the low E is very close to the edge, or the high E (usually the high E) which is a problem with the bridge and/or nut location. And in that case it might be a little easier to pull or push the string of the edge of the neck than a typical Soloist or other Jackson.

However the string spacing is the same as any other guitar with a Floyd, and the neck is a good 1/16th wider, so... There is a lot more room between the E's and the edge of the fretboard on a Charvel or Jackson than there is on, say, a Fender Strat.

If the strings are reasonably centered on the neck, and you're pushing/pulling the E's off the edges... You're doing it wrong.
                            Wow, harsh? Ya think? Maybe a little more like ignorant considering so many other people seem to be experiencing the same imaginary phenomenon, or maybe It's just that none of those guys seem to know how to play thier properly made soloists.

Comment

You have to excuse Jazzy there. One, notice the smiley. Hes kind of a smarty sometimes, as with a lot of us. This is a common problem with the Soloists, as well as the p/u cavity screw protruding through the trem cavity and clear coat issues. The comment was a facetious cut, not a hurtful burn. Youll figure out how to read(no pun intended) people here after a while, except Ron (RacerX), hes a douche and will bust your balls over all you grammatical indiscretions. ;P Anyway, youll survive longer here if youre a little less timid but at the same time not to the point to immediately say a long time member is ignorant in your seventeenth post.
                              Last edited by Twitch; 10-11-2010, 07:48 PM.
                              HTTP 404 - Signature Not Found

Comment

Working...
                              X