Pickup impedance (k) ohms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pickup impedance (k) ohms

I have a vintage charvel pickup laying around and for the life of me I cannot get a reading of impedance of ohms this pickup has. (Tried 2 different ohm meters). It read 15.93k in 1987,but now it reads "0" nothing, but it still works, and sounds pretty good. Can someone tell me what is going on here? I am also using the right wires for the hot and ground.
    Last edited by Dr loomis; 10-08-2010, 09:08 AM.
    I put most psychiatrists on the couch.

Probably not - or your multi-meter is broken.
    -------------------------
    Blank yo!

Comment

15.93 is the exact reading of a J90 or J90C.

Do you have a break in your DMM leads? Batteries dead?

If the pickup works, it's working.

Comment

It's just a super high output pickup... None of that pesky impedance to get in the way of your tones.

Nah, you're doing it wrong.

Comment

Thanks guys, I will now go ahead and install it. I needed some motivation today.

Comment

Apparently the pickup in EVH's frankenstrat reads 0 too.
            I like EL34s.

Comment

You must be measuring the wrong leads or touching the probe tips. If it works though, all is good.

Comment

I even got straycat to try to get a reading on this, and he couldn't either . I am doing everything right. Maybe its haunted or just resting for a while.

Comment

Yep I got a big 0 too not sure why because it read 15 and some change when I took it out of the guitar.
                  I have an old Duncan Distortion that reads 0 and it sounds great.
                  Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Oh, were you measuring the pickup installed? If that's the case the output jack might be "grounding" the pickup since they usually short the tip to ground when there's not a cable in it.

Some ohmmeters don't autorange and if you're set in the meg ohms, you may read zero too.

Obviously the pickups work, so all's well. Just got me thinking.

Comment

Would it make any difference if someone had this pickup in an active circuit such as emgs at some point and applied 9 volts to it such as a 9 volt battery and fried it somehow? Just skeptical.

Comment

Working...
                      X