Model 4 Gotoh trem mod question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Model 4 Gotoh trem mod question

Ok I asked before if an OFR would go on my 88 Model 4. I have been looking around and I have noticed I can get a Gotoh Much cheaper. So the question is will the Gotoh work as a replacement for the Jackson Trem that is on there, which I think is a JT6 with no fine tuners?

Next, will the nut have to be changed as well? And how about the studs?

I like the guitar, i got it for a great price and it is really clean. It is going to need a fret level and dress so I am trying to keep my costs down a much as possible. I think I may have this set up a full step down and a Dtuna for some droped C stuff. Here is the link to the post when I bought it.http://www.jcfonline.com/threads/110...ight=booger007

Thanks in advance!
    1989 Magenta Charvel 650XL (Now my main guitar) , 1989 White Charvel 650XL, 1989 Trans Amber 750 XL, 1989 Cherry Sunburst 750XL Abortion,1990 Jackson soloist ATT pro Trans Red, 1993 Jackson Dinky Std Black with pick guard , 1992 Jackson Stealth Ex repainted, 1994 JDR-94, 1994 JDR-94, 1995 DR3 (Old Main Guitar) trans purple quilted maple picture , 2002 RR5 white and gold, 1988 Model 4 cobalt blue, 1993 Jackson Fusion Std black, 1990's Alvarez Fusion acoustic electric cutaway, 2009 Alvarez AD60ck Koa acoustic electric cutaway. Crate BV-150 Heads, SKB PS55 pedal Board, Shure wireless

yes it will fit just fine. and no you will not need to change the nut.
    Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Originally posted by booger007 View Post
      So the question is will the Gotoh work as a replacement for the Jackson Trem that is on there, which I think is a JT6 with no fine tuners?
      No fine tuners? Did someone take the fine tuners off from around the locking pins?
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

There is no place for them to go? I read somewhere that the very first ones were that way. The way it is set up is the strings actually go through the whole where the locking bolts would go. At first I thought it was butchered but there is no machined surface for the fine tuners to even thread into. I wonder if someone may have swapped out the bridge at one point? It is the wierdest thing I have ever seen. It does have the string lock type nut with the three flathead screw type locks.. I will take and post some pics tonight.

Dreamland, thanks for the info. I think that this will be a fantastic guitar and a keeper if I can swap the bridge out.
        1989 Magenta Charvel 650XL (Now my main guitar) , 1989 White Charvel 650XL, 1989 Trans Amber 750 XL, 1989 Cherry Sunburst 750XL Abortion,1990 Jackson soloist ATT pro Trans Red, 1993 Jackson Dinky Std Black with pick guard , 1992 Jackson Stealth Ex repainted, 1994 JDR-94, 1994 JDR-94, 1995 DR3 (Old Main Guitar) trans purple quilted maple picture , 2002 RR5 white and gold, 1988 Model 4 cobalt blue, 1993 Jackson Fusion Std black, 1990's Alvarez Fusion acoustic electric cutaway, 2009 Alvarez AD60ck Koa acoustic electric cutaway. Crate BV-150 Heads, SKB PS55 pedal Board, Shure wireless

Comment

actually you might want to measure. the Gotoh will be a direct drop in for the JT6 but i'm not sure about the pre-jt6. just measure the posts.
          Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

There is no place for them to go? I read somewhere that the very first ones were that way. The way it is set up is the strings actually go through the whole where the locking bolts would go. At first I thought it was butchered but there is no machined surface for the fine tuners to even thread into. I wonder if someone may have swapped out the bridge at one point? It is the wierdest thing I have ever seen. It does have the string lock type nut with the three flathead screw type locks.. I will take and post some pics tonight.

Dreamland, thanks for the info. I think that this will be a fantastic guitar and a keeper if I can swap the bridge out.
            Are you sure you have a JT6? This is a JT6. The fine tuners are actually different than any other Floyd and totally out of the way. They are little threads that wrap around the outside of the locking bolts, right around where you would stick the allen wrench to loosen the locking bolts.

Comment

LMAO, I must be an idiot! Thats why I got it so cheap. The locking bolts and fine tuners are all missing. I am going to have to nominate GC in Alabama for douche of the day as I bought it from them from a picture in their used gear. DOH!

Comment

Comment

LMAO, I must be an idiot! Thats why I got it so cheap. The locking bolts and fine tuners are all missing. I am going to have to nominate GC in Alabama for douche of the day as I bought it from them from a picture in their used gear. DOH!
                  Don't sweat it. I've seen that 'modification' before when one or more of the bolts get stripped. The stripped bolt issue is common on the JT6.

Comment

Doh is right toejam! Thanks tcwil8! It really doesn't matter because it was going to get upgraded anyways, but I certainly had as good laugh at myself!
                    Last edited by booger007; 10-07-2010, 12:09 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X