j90c In Mahogany Body

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• j90c In Mahogany Body

Anyone ever try a jackson j90c pickup in a mahogany body guitar? Most of these and the j series pickups were put in alder or poplar bodies back in the day i assume. Most people say this pickup sounds like a jb or a duncan distortion. I have seen these 2 types of pickups in mahogany bodies, but with the upper mid range of the j90c would it be to bright or fizzy sounding? Thanks!
    I put most psychiatrists on the couch.

I was just playing my J90C loaded Fusion Deluxe (short scale basswood). It was really brutal for thrash metal. I was nailing Mustaine tones better than my SL2H with a TB4. Not fizzy or bright. Somewhere between the JB and DD, but closer to the DD IMO.

It is a powerful pickup and I could see it possibly getting bassy in a mahogany body.

But then again, basswood supposed to tone like mahogany.

Is this a short or long scale guitar?

Set neck? Bolt on?

Trem? Fixed / string thru?

Comment

25.5 scale, bolt on, fixed bridge, mahogany body, maple top, maple neck, and rosewood fingerboard.
      If mahogany makes this pickup a little bassy, can you change pots, and caps to alter it? Maybe a 10 band eq can configure the difference.

Comment

I think you might like it. You aren't paying $200 for it are you?

Comment

I'm paying $380 for a new rgr421exfm and going to customize it with jackson vintage pickups and electronics. LOL! I would love to have a charvel or jackson with these specs but it's hard to find a string thru /hardtail older type guitar around here. I bought a jackson dx10d amber sunburst new for $510 and was going to customize it but the tremolo gave me fits when I took off all of the strings. If your talking about the pickup i bought it off someone on here 2 years ago and its been laying around ever since. LOL!
          Last edited by Dr loomis; 10-04-2010, 11:44 PM.

Comment

Has it been that long Doc?
            I have a J-90C in my Fusion H-H and its mahogany.I love the way it sounds nice mids and highs not too much bass at all.
            Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Working...
            X