Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's the reason that neck p.u. is usually associated as a lead p.u.?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's the reason that neck p.u. is usually associated as a lead p.u.?

And the bridge p.u. as a rythm p.u., respectively...

Because the neck sounds better for lead, and crappy for rythm.

And because the bridge sounds better for rythm.

Use your ears.

Comment

:think: Um, no, that's backwards. The "lead" pickup is bridge position, "rhythm" is neck. :think:

I don't know about Don's ears, but mine usually say play leads on the bridge pickup. Unless, of course, you happen to be covering a Slash solo.

Comment

Then there is SRV who played most of his leads off of the middle and neck PU.

And to back up Shreddermon, Bridge = Lead, Neck = Rhythm.

What you actually use them for is entirely up to you.
        -Rick

Comment

I never use the neck pickup. Except on my Strat. I use neck and middle combo on that.
          "I would have banned you for taking part in hijacking and derailing a thread when you could have started your own thread about your own topic." - Unknown

Comment

Originally posted by advennt View Post
            And the bridge p.u. as a rythm p.u., respectively...
            Since when? It's designated as rhythm for the neck and treble for the bridge.
            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I'm guesing someone wired a Les Paul's toggle switch backwards.

Comment

With heavy distortion lots (most?) guys play rhythm on the bridge pickup and many guys play lead on the neck pickup, but many also play lead on the bridge pickup, or play lead on both.

It's all up to what kind of tone you're after. But for heavy metal, I just don't see using the neck pickup for rhythm, it's too muddy. :dunno:

Comment

Originally posted by shreddermon View Post
                  I'm guesing someone wired a Les Paul's toggle switch backwards.
                  Yeah, or flipped the little round label around backwards.

Comment

Originally posted by MakeAJazzNoiseHere View Post
                    With heavy distortion lots (most?) guys play rhythm on the bridge pickup and many guys play lead on the neck pickup, but many also play lead on the bridge pickup, or play lead on both.

It's all up to what kind of tone you're after. But for heavy metal, I just don't see using the neck pickup for rhythm, it's too muddy. :dunno:
                    This I plus one.

The neck pup typically has a rounder, looser sound, that sounds nice for a non-distorted tone, or distorted leads.

I prefer playing both rhythms and leads on the bridge pup myself, because I just get more bite, scream and wail out of it.

Comment

There are no rules. Go with what works and what you like.
                      -------------------------
                      Blank yo!

Comment

use either. use both in the same song. the neck pickup generally provides notes that "swell" (for lack of a better word) through the rhythm, are generally warmer tones, especially if you adjust where you are picking. The bridge pickup generally provides a sharper attack, a note that immediately pops into existence so to speak. Different rhythms sound better with different pups selected.
                        if you've never seen this vid, watch it from around 3:50 for a good demonstration between the various pickup/ picking positions/fingerings

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AK63d...eature=related
                        For the aid of the sarcastically challenged, smartass comments will now be denoted in orange. Thank you for your support.

Comment

I gave up on this quandary, and only play 1-hum guitars now.

Comment

'59 in the neck for stoner rhythm, liquid lead licks, and anything else you like!

The old convention is bridge = lead and neck = rhythm, but like most other conventions it means absolutely nothing. It originated sometime somewhere a reason, but nowdays if it sounds good, it sounds good.

Comment

I can't dig single pickup axes. They just look weird.
                              "I would have banned you for taking part in hijacking and derailing a thread when you could have started your own thread about your own topic." - Unknown

Comment

Working...
                              X