Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DiMarzio Tone Zone or Norton in mahogany?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DiMarzio Tone Zone or Norton in mahogany?

I've got this '94 Hamer Special that's all mahogany. Thinking of taking the Duncan JB out of the bridge and putting in either a chrome-covered TZ or a black/blue Norton. Would the TZ be too much low end in mahogany or has anyone tried it with good results? I love the TZ in alder or poplar, just never tried it in any other woods. I've had the Norton lying around for years for a project that never got underway, so I'm not even sure how that sounds. If I put the Norton in, I guess I'd have to go with black rings instead of the creme.

I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Is the JB actually too bright for you in that guitar? Or is there something else you don't like about it?

Comment

It's actually not that bright in this guitar, but I always seem to get sick of the JB for some reason. I think something a tiny bit warmer and with tighter bass is what I want.

Comment

I'd go for the Duncan Custom from what you describe. The Tone Zone is great for bright sounding guitars with Floyds on them. I've never tried it in mahogany guitar like that, but I'd imagine it'd be very muddy. I've never tried the Norton, so can't speak to that.

Comment

I thought the Custom was blah in Mahogany, didn't cut through he mix very well. I put the JB in and it was much better, but yeah, still a JB.

I don't know about the Tone Zone in Mahogany, I love it in my Seafoam Green guitar but that's a BRIGHT, tight guitar (ash body, Pao Ferro neck w/Ebony board and a Floyd) and I suspect it would be too dark in Mahogany.

Super Distortion?

Comment

A Custom might work. I've never tried the 6-string version, but I did have the 7-string version in an old Schecter 007 Elite that was all mahogany, and that was pretty nice. The Super Distortion is always nice and usually works well in just about anything. I definitely don't want muddy. The neck pup is a '59.

Comment

God, I love that Hamer. I imagine it's pretty close to my SG - and I loved the SG with a Screamin' Demon in the bridge (right now I've got a Dimarzio Bluesbucker) and I hated the JB in that same position as well.

My take on SG-style all mahagony guitars - go low output or high output - the middle output pickups don't seem to respond well in these type of guitars.

The Gibson 500T/496R set also killed in the SG.

Did I mention I love that Hamer?
              -------------------------
              Blank yo!

Comment

I love the Hamer, too. It's set up with a set of signature Gilmour Boomers 10.5 - 50 and plays great. I do actually have a Gibson BB Pro lying around that I took out of my LP when I put EMGs in it, but I can't remember if it's a neck or bridge version. I do also have a chrome 25th anniversary EMG 81 and an ivory 85 I could put in, but I don't really want EMGs in this guitar right now. Decisions, decisions...

Comment

FWIW - EMG 81/85 sounded like mud in my SG.
                  -------------------------
                  Blank yo!

Comment

P-Rails Hot. Killer humbucker, with single coil/P90 bonus action.
                    GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

I had the tone zone (bridge) and the air norton (neck) in my MH guitar and loved it.......great early petrucci sound.
                      Damn this is an expensive hobby.....

Comment

Don't do it.

Use a SD SH-6, Super Distortion or X2N instead, with a PAF Pro or SD Jazz in the neck.
                        I like EL34s.

Comment

I have a little experience with the Norton. I had it in an SL2HT, Naural Charvel, SLATQH, LP Trad and currently in a C1+. It sounded best in the LP but I traded it so I have them in a Schecter C1+ and they sound great. They have a louder PAF kinda sound with a little more RAAAH in the mids, I like the Norton, good all around pup.
                          Charvel 7308 (TMZ 008), Charvel Pro-mod (yellow), Jackson Soloist Custom (Yellow), Jackson SL2H-V Natural, Gibson LPS DB, Gibson LPS EB, Gibson LPCC C, Charvel Model 2 (scalloped), Jackson DK2M (white), Charvel Journeyman, Fender Classic Player 60's strat, Carvin C66, Musikraft strat mutt, Warmoth Strat mutt, Fender MIM Jazz bass, Epiphone Classical, Takamine parlor. Marshall 2203, Marshall JVM 210H, Splawn Nitro, Fender Supersonic 22, Line 6 AX2 212, Marshall 4X12.

Comment

Originally posted by Grim View Post
                            Don't do it.

Use a SD SH-6, Super Distortion or X2N instead, with a PAF Pro or SD Jazz in the neck.
                            I forgot I acutally do have a zebra X2N lying around and a Super 2. Always liked those as a cool bridge/neck combo. Never tried a Duncan Distortion, though.

Comment

Originally posted by jcm800x View Post
                              I have a little experience with the Norton. I had it in an SL2HT, Naural Charvel, SLATQH, LP Trad and currently in a C1+. It sounded best in the LP but I traded it so I have them in a Schecter C1+ and they sound great. They have a louder PAF kinda sound with a little more RAAAH in the mids, I like the Norton, good all around pup.
                              Cool. Is it more lower mids than the higher mids of the JB?

Comment

Working...
                              X