aging chrome?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• aging chrome?

i was wondering if anyone had a good method for "aging" chrome parts. the idea comes from an accident i had with some of my silver earrings. i left them soaking in peroxide for 2 days and when i went to get them, they had dulled a lot.

i want to age the chrome bridge and V-plate from my hamer vector. most of the other parts appear vintage from use, but those still look shiny and new. any suggestions would be welcomed.
    GEAR:

some guitars...WITH STRINGS!!!! most of them have those sticks like on guitar hero....AWESOME!!!!

some amps...they have some glowing bottle like things in them...i think my amps do that modelling thing....COOL, huh?!?!?!

and finally....

i have those little plastic "chips" used to hit the strings...WHOA!!!!

You can use a scotch brite pad to dull it and maybe even hit it with a mild acid.
    -Rick

Comment

The problem is that chrome doesn't age or tarnish like nickel or silver - chrome - like gold - doesn't lose its luster. Chrome plating pits and chips, and I'm not quite sure you can simulate that - at least not without some acid or something.

Using a scotch-brite pad will scratch the chrome, but doesn't really leave a "played in" look. Not like the real thing, anyway - take a look at some of those "Tour-mented" Charvels out there where the scotch-brited the trem. Looks kinda silly to me - like road rash.

Here's a genuine aged Floyd:

-------------------------
      Blank yo!

Comment

Yup, Scotch-brite to the chrome looks like scratched-up chrome, fake. If your bridge is as old as the guitar, it appears as vintage as it should. :dunno:

Comment

To ding it up you can try shooting it with a nail gun

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
            To ding it up you can try shooting it with a nail gun
            Wow... Wear safety goggles for that, or you'll be known as Blind Metal Chitterlings.

Comment

Fuck the goggles - make sure you wear a metal cup.
              -------------------------
              Blank yo!

Comment

Originally posted by markD View Post
                i was wondering if anyone had a good method for "aging" chrome parts. the idea comes from an accident i had with some of my silver earrings. i left them soaking in peroxide for 2 days and when i went to get them, they had dulled a lot.

i want to age the chrome bridge and V-plate from my hamer vector. most of the other parts appear vintage from use, but those still look shiny and new. any suggestions would be welcomed.
                I age cream stuff by putting it in a pot of coffee overnight. Gets knobs nice and yellowed. This may work with chrome too if you use an acid beforehand.
                I like EL34s.

Comment

I use muratic acid on chrome depending on the thickness of the chrome as to how long it takes.
                  Take a plastic container about 10 in long and 2 in deep pour the acid in maybe 1/2 deep then take another plastic container with your parts and set it in the acid,put on the lid and thats it
                  Don't let the acid touch the parts all you want is the vapor to etch the parts.
                  Here are two examples the strat head pic is lightly aged and the strip tuners are a "well done".
                  Keep in mind these are nickle parts and don't take long, chrome takes a lot longer and is not as unifrom.
                  When you take the parts out rinse them off to neutralize the acid vapor and stop the aging process.
                  You can take the parts out and let them sit for a while and age a bit more thats your choice just be sure to rinse them in water to get the acid vapor residue off.
                  Hope that helps.
                  Don't ask how I get the plastic tuner buttons to turn brown I can't tell you that.LOL

Last edited by straycat; 09-27-2010, 01:27 AM.
                  Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Hey Straycat,

How do you know how long to age the parts?

Are you sure you can't tell the knob secret? I need to age a set of tuners.

Please?

pm me?

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
                      Hey Straycat,

How do you know how long to age the parts?

Are you sure you can't tell the knob secret? I need to age a set of tuners.

Please?

pm me?
                      Try the coffee trick for the knobs. This works on gibson style Klusons so I imagine it would work here.
                      I like EL34s.

Comment

Well the coffee trick won't always work Some mfg's use different plastics and they act differently.
                        Aging plastic buttons is kinda tricky.If one method doesn't seem to take I have a few other options so I usually end up with a nice smooth color.
                        Scotch brite pads are good to rough up plastic buttons so the method you use will take.
                        You have to wear down the edges of the button too which is an art trust me it ain't easy to get them to look right.
                        Back to the OP chrome is tough and using a scotch brite pad will only make scratches and you don't want that so not a good method IMO.
                        I have a method to dull the chrome before I actually age the the tuner itself which helps a lot, can't tell you that either.LOL
                        Last edited by straycat; 09-28-2010, 01:43 AM.

Comment

Get it sandblasted (or bead blasted),

or soak it in Coke for a couple of weeks,

or Sea water

Comment

ralph neither are a good idea.

Comment

Originally posted by straycat View Post
                              Well the coffee trick won't always work
                              If coffee fails, sigarettes are the next best thing
                              "There's nothing taking away from the pure masculinity I possess"

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

Working...
                              X