Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wiring Ideas - 5 way Super Switch + 2 Mini Switches

So on my Model 3A Project -

I've got 2 hums - a J-50N and a J-80C - both 4 conductor Jackson hummies - a volume, a tone and 2 mini switches.

Right now its wired kinda funky...

1. - Neck Hum coils in Parallel
    2. - Neck Hum coils in Series (standard Humbucker sound)
    2 & Mini Switch 1 - Neck single coil
    3. - Neck & Bridge
    3 & Mini Switch 1 - Neck Single & Bridge Hum
    3 & Mini Switch 1 & 2 - Neck Single & Bridge Single
    3 & Mini Switch 2 - Neck Hum & Bridge Single
    4. - Bridge Hum coils in Series (standard Humbucker sound)
    4 & Mini Switch 2 -Bridge Single coil
    5. - Bridge Hum coils in Parallel

So this is clearly way, way, way more sounds than I really need and the two most important - that of regular humbucking in series - are stashed at the 2 & 4 positions and mini-switch dependant.

I'd like to keep the 5-way super switch as it is original to 3A's - and its clearly really old - and I'm not planning on filling the mini switch holes and refinishing anytime soon.

I was thinking of something like:

Use 1 mini switch to cut the coils of both humbuckers and the other mini switch to set the phase on one of the pickups. But that wouldn't really work with the 5 way...

Another would be to use the mini switches as kill-switches for each pickup and then I can wakka-wakka the sound with the 5 way...

Any other bright ideas out there?

99.99% of my time is playing the humbuckers in the neck or bridge.
    -------------------------
    Blank yo!

A Fender 3 way switch for a tele uses the exact same screw spacing as the 5 way super in my Model 5. I put one in when I switched the electroncs out for SD Blackouts. I have the 5 way in safe keeping if I ever need to go back. You could drop it in and wire the 3 way for neck-both-bridge and use the mini switches to split.
    GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Yeah - that's my preference, actually. 3 way - 1 coil split switch and a kill switch.
      Blank yo!

Comment

Replace the 5-way with a 3-way and get some Duncan TripleShot rings for the splitting/series/parallel options. Use the mini toggles for phase-reversal and you'll have all the sounds available with minimal fuss.
        Plus you can split to each coil, rather than just one.
        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Well that would leave me with the tripleshots plus the mini switches and the blade switch... too much, I think. Also - I don't really like the way the triple shots look (and I'm not a switching junkie).

How about:

5 way - Hum, split, split + split, split, Hum
          two individual kill switches
          Blank yo!

Comment

Originally posted by Grandturk View Post
            5 way - Hum, split, split + split, split, Hum
            Isn't that the standard Super 5 way E switch? I have that on my 750XL with Full Shreds, and a push/pull one to phase reverse in the middle position.

Comment

If you're getting rid of that 5 way super switch, i'll take it.

Comment

Working...
              X