.047/.022 cap?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• .047/.022 cap?

First, wtf do these caps do? Duncan seems to call for .047uf caps, Dimarzio calls for .022uf. I understand that the higher value = darker tone. But do they do anything when you're just at full clockwise on the tone knob? I wired my SH5 custom/little '59 in the SL1 but didn't have a cap so need to get one. Anyone know if radioshack carries these?
    Every man dies... Not every man really lives!!

Fry's should have them, Radio Shack "HEY DO YOU NEED BATTERIES WITH THAT" might have them.

Comment

They still have a small filtering effect when the tone knob is dimed, unless you have one of those new-fangled "no load" pots.

EDIT: Yeah what is up with the RS pimping out batteries?? They wore me out with that the last time I was in there.

Comment

^^That's funny stuff!! RS didn't have shit. As I was leaving they did ask if I needed any batteries or anything else.. Fry's isn't open when I'm in town so I guess I'll just get a few of each online to mess with. I asked cause without the cap in there now, it's a bit harsh sounding. Not real bad but noticeable.

Comment

Some guys stuff the tone pot in the control cavity. This has the advantage in that you can pop open the cavity and make an adjustment to it if needed. But, as an engineer it is a bit hackish. So, I like to put a 500 KHom resistor inline with a cap in the control cavity. That is equivalent to a dimed 500 Kohm pot. Some guitars without tone knobs seem slightly harsh without it.

Comment

My Model 6 has a JB/Duckbucker/Little '59 with just 500K vol and 5 way rotary switch for the pups. No tone pot or caps or anything and it's not harsh or overly trebl-ish. Really smooth compared to this setup. Hopefully it just needs a cap. Everything it has = Custom in bridge, Little '59 neck, 500K push pull vol, 500K tone, and a 3 way blade. Push pull splits coils on both pups when up, just like my M6. I used this diagram http://www.seymourduncan.com/support...h_1v_1t_3w_1pp and right now have nothing on the tone pot lug where the cap goes. Without having the cap in there, should I have a wire there to ground?Like does that lug need to be grounded with or without the cap?

Comment

Sorry, need to bump with a Q.. I ordered 2 each mallory .047 and 2 each .022 caps. Got 4 each .022 (2-250v and 2-400v). While I'm waiting on my next order with .047's, which should I try, or will there be a difference?

Comment

Working...
              X