Active electronics messed up.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Active electronics messed up.

so i have 2 singlecoils and one humbucker, which all come from the same set.
    the pickups are active and they come from an old vester guitar.

the config looks exactly like on this charvel model 6
    http://www.dessherwood.co.uk/charvel2.jpg

inside the cavity there are 2 normal pots, which i think are tone and the one thats "making the pickups go active"

there is also one pot that has some kind of chip attatched to it. it looks like this: http://www.speedyshare.com/files/24334702/IMG_1038.JPG

the pots and all are heavily damaged, and the pickups does not have any wires, they have been cut off for some reason.

can this be repared? will i need that volumepot chip from another vester or can i just use some EMG-ish and just solder the vester pickups on?

Anything can be repaired.

Do you need to have active electronics?

If not just get some pots and caps and be done with it.

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
      Anything can be repaired.

Do you need to have active electronics?

If not just get some pots and caps and be done with it.
      the pickups are active, what i am asking is if the pot with the chip and the rest of the pots can be replaced with for instance pots for that charvel or some emg's

Comment

not to insult your intelligence but are you sure the pickups are active and its not passive pickups with active electronics? how many leads are coming from the pickups. i know you said theyve been cut but you should still be able to see it. btw the model 6 was passive pickups with active electronics. IIRC which would bring me to ask the same as don p. do you NEED the active electronics? and are you looking for a mid boost or somethin like the emg pa-2? to me active electronics with active pickups seems to be a bit much.
        Last edited by jdr94; 09-20-2010, 09:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jdr94 View Post
          not to insult your intelligence but are you sure the pickups are active and its not passive pickups with active electronics? how many leads are coming from the pickups. i know you said theyve been cut but you should still be able to see it. btw the model 6 was passive pickups with active electronics. IIRC which would bring me to ask the same as don p. do you NEED the active electronics? and are you looking for a mid boost or somethin like the emg pa-2? to me active electronics with active pickups seems to be a bit much.
          aha! now i feel you

when it was all soldered together in the vester, the pickups wouldnt work without a battery.

when i soldered one of the singlecoils into one of my other guitars (with passive electronics) it didn't work properly.

so i guess the pickups need active electronics?

there are two leads coming from each pickup
          Last edited by devreaux; 09-21-2010, 06:38 AM.

Comment

yup. the pickups are meant to use active electronics otherwise they will sound weak. what would probably work best for you is aemg pa-2 which gives 20db of boost if i'm not mistaken.

Comment

yup. the pickups are meant to use active electronics otherwise they will sound weak. what would probably work best for you is aemg pa-2 which gives 20db of boost if i'm not mistaken.
              okay but how do you know that it will replace the chip that was in it before?

Comment

It would be a different chip. I'm not familiar with the system myself but I am almost certain you would have to replace the volume pot with the PCB attached to it and replace it with the EMG version, I don't know if that is attached to a volume pot or sits back in the cavity somewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by bratfink View Post
                  It would be a different chip. I'm not familiar with the system myself but I am almost certain you would have to replace the volume pot with the PCB attached to it and replace it with the EMG version, I don't know if that is attached to a volume pot or sits back in the cavity somewhere.
                  okay, and just like the wires from the chip are going to 3 on/off switches, i can but a three-way switch there instead?

so what i need is 1 volume pot, 1 tone pot, 1 pcb (but will it work if its EMG and not vester?) and 1 three-way switch?

Comment

well you dont need to replace the toggles unless they're bad. i said pa-2 but what you're gonna need is the afterburner http://www.emgpickups.com/products/index/323/142/4
                    other than that you should be good. oh you'll need a stereo output jack so that you dont drain your batteries when youre not playing.

Comment

well you dont need to replace the toggles unless they're bad. i said pa-2 but what you're gonna need is the afterburner http://www.emgpickups.com/products/index/323/142/4
                      other than that you should be good. oh you'll need a stereo output jack so that you dont drain your batteries when youre not playing.
                      thing is the pot with the chip is bad

Comment

Originally posted by devreaux View Post
                        thing is the pot with the chip is bad
                        couldn't edit the post for some reason:

the pot with the chip is bad, that's why i'm asking if i can replace it with something newer

Comment

Yes you can replace it with any current preamp or mid boost circuit. It doesnt have to be the same exact thing.
                          The Model 6 pups JS200 sounded like ass and had no volume without a pre attached.
                          Gil

Comment

Originally posted by JACKSONFREAK View Post
                            Yes you can replace it with any current preamp or mid boost circuit. It doesnt have to be the same exact thing.
                            The Model 6 pups JS200 sounded like ass and had no volume without a pre attached.
                            Gil
                            okay, thank you for your reply, but why are they making the chips different if they're all the same and fullfill the same function?
                            Last edited by devreaux; 09-23-2010, 06:35 AM.

Comment

Copywright? :dunno:

Comment

Working...
                              X