Headstock Tip Chip Fix

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Headstock Tip Chip Fix

Pointy heads. Got a good size cip of wood missing from the tip of a headstock - just the back - the front black overlay is fine.

I'm looking to use some sort of filler to recreate the headstock shape - fill in the wood - and then I'm going to paint the whole back of the neck - so I'm not concered with seeing the material.

What's the best stuff to use for this type of fix? I was thinking of green modelling putty - "Green Stuff."
    -------------------------
    Blank yo!

Most of my pointys have this wound. It seems to just pop up randomly. Apparently my CS is free of it though, but then again... That guitar gets the "white glove" treatment.
    I like EL34s.

Comment

The putty might work. The issue isn't really whether it is hard enough or durable enough, it's whether it will fall right off the first time you bump it.

That white 2-part epoxy putty maybe.

Once it cures, break it off and super-glue it back on, then it will probably stay.

Comment

Never had much too luck with green stuff, even back in my Warhammer days hehe.
        Definitely go with two-part epoxy putty, that shit dries in minutes and is rock-solid when it hardens. Apply a blob to the problem area - be sure to apply MORE than what's needed - let it dry and sand it down to the shape of the headstock tip. Do it and post pics!
        It's all about the blues-rock chatter.

Originally posted by RD
        ...so now I have this massive empty house with my Harley, Guns, Guitar and nothing else...

Comment

I am an avid user of the 2-part epoxy putty. I LOVE that stuff! However, I'm wondering, in this case, if it may be necessary to "key" it into the headstock, by drilling a small recess into heart of the chip, to give the putty something solid to anchor itself to. Otherwise, I'm worried after one small bump, it may fly right off.
          I'm not Ron!

Comment

Originally posted by Devotee View Post
            Never had much too luck with green stuff, even back in my Warhammer days hehe.
            REPENT!!!

Anyway - good advice on the two part putty. I'll look into that. It's a small chip - I can leave it completely - but I'm thinking painting the whole neck black will look cool.
            Blank yo!

Comment

I had a small chip missing from the tip of my Model 6 that I built up with elmers fine wood putty. Sanded to perfect shape, painted, and it's completely un-noticeable. Feels solid too. That's also what I used to smoothe the seam where I flattened the forearm bevel in the body. Again, completely un-noticeable.
              Every man dies... Not every man really lives!!

Comment

Good tips -'thanks warlock
                Blank yo!

Comment

Working...
                X